1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conic sections

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1
    Everyone knows by now that a conic section is the figure formed when a plane intersects a right circular cone. Most everyone also knows that there are many different ways to describe a conic, geometrically and algebraically. What one seldom sees is the derivation of those descriptions from the fundamental definition. Using Dandelin Spheres it is easy to accomplish this for an ellipse. What I have never seen is a proof, based on the fundamental definition, of the equivalence of the ratio of the distances of a point on the conic to the focus and to the directrix, or even a definition of the directrix itself. Can anyone supply or direct me to such information? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

4. Aug 2, 2010 #3
    I have read that a dozen times. It doesn't explain the directrix derivation - just says it's possible to do so.

5. Aug 3, 2010 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook