1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conical Fins - Heat Transfer

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive a differential equation (do not solve) for the temperature distribution in a straight conical fin. Assume one dimensional heat flow. This equation is assumed to be 1-D steady state conduction.

2. Relevant equations

For this problem, we can use the generalized fin equation. Please see the attached image of the equation because I do not know how to use the equation editor on here.

3. The attempt at a solution

For the conical fin problem I understand that the cross sectional area is non-uniform and it changes with position. I need to simplify the generalized fin equations using the assumptions of a conical shape fin and then acquire an ordinary differential equation for temperature distribution. I am unsure of any other assumptions I can use for conical fins to further simplify the generalized equation into an ordinary differential equation.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2
    If R0 is the radius at the base of the cone, and L is the height of the cone, what is the local radius at x as a function of x, R0, and L? What is the local cross sectional area? What is the local surface area between x and x+dx?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted