Can a flying pig float in water like a conical pendulum?

In summary, the flying pig is just a toy pig with wings that is hung from the ceiling with a string. When you turn it on, it flies in a circle and shows concepts of conical pendulum. However, it only flies in one direction. If you push the pigs in the opposite direction, it will not travel in shape of a circle.
ys2050
I have a question about the flying pig.
A flying pig is just a toy pig with wings that is hung from the ceiling with a string. When you turn it on, it flies in a circle and shows concepts of conical pendulum.
But it only flies in one direction. If you push the pigs in the opposite direction, it will not travel in shape of a circle.
Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the details of how the pig is connected to the string or how it flies, but--as mentioned in your previous thread--there's nothing about a conical pendulum that implies one-way motion. However, it's certainly conceivable that the pig mechanism was constructed so as to make it easier to fly in only one direction. Turn the motor off and then give it a push in the opposite direction and see what happens.

… is it a bird? … is it a plane? … no! … it's …

ys2050 said:
If you push the pigs in the opposite direction, it will not travel in shape of a circle.
Why is that?

Hi ys2050! :smile:

I did a quick google search - these pigs look fun! :smile:

Does yours have flapping wings? If you move the pig the other way, does it have to "fly" backwards?

If so, maybe the aerodynamics of the wings make it unstable if the wings are forced backwards? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ys2050! :smile:

I did a quick google search - these pigs look fun! :smile:

Does yours have flapping wings? If you move the pig the other way, does it have to "fly" backwards?

If so, maybe the aerodynamics of the wings make it unstable if the wings are forced backwards? :confused:

Yeah I think it has something to do with the wings... but I can't figure out exactly how the wings are doing that...! T.T

When you try to make it fly in the opposite direction do you turn it around? Or do you just give it a push and it decides which way to go?

Not having the thing in front of me to examine and play with, I can't say for sure, but it would seem rather easy to make the mechanism such that it tends to always go clockwise (or counterclockwise).

Doc Al said:
When you try to make it fly in the opposite direction do you turn it around? Or do you just give it a push and it decides which way to go?

Not having the thing in front of me to examine and play with, I can't say for sure, but it would seem rather easy to make the mechanism such that it tends to always go clockwise (or counterclockwise).

When I try to make it fly in the opposite direction, I turn the pig around and give it a little push... in which case, it won't travel in a circle...

Can you try this (just for fun): Instead of hanging the pig, float it in a bath of water. See what happens.

What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum in which the bob, or weight, follows a circular path instead of a straight line.

How does a conical pendulum work?

A conical pendulum works by the force of gravity pulling the bob towards the center of the circular path, causing it to swing back and forth.

What factors affect the motion of a conical pendulum?

The motion of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the bob, and the speed at which it is swung.

What is the difference between a conical pendulum and a regular pendulum?

The main difference between a conical pendulum and a regular pendulum is the shape of the path that the bob follows. A regular pendulum follows a straight line while a conical pendulum follows a circular path.

What are some real-life applications of conical pendulums?

Conical pendulums are used in various scientific instruments, such as seismometers and gravimeters, to measure small movements and changes in gravity. They are also used in amusement park rides, such as the swing ride, to create circular motion.