Solving Conics: Find the x-Intercept

• Thread starter emohunter7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conics
In summary, the conversation is about finding the x-intercept of the equation y=x^2-6x+3. The person first uses the method of completing the square and then solves for x. However, upon plugging in 0 for y, they make a mistake and get the incorrect answer. The conversation concludes with the correct answer being x=3+(6^(1/2)) and x=3-(6^(1/2)).
emohunter7
Conics! Help Please!

okay i think i have solved this correctly...still a little unsure though...
y=x^2-6x+3----find x intercept
first i used complete the square---- y-3=(x-3)^2
then i solved for x---- 3+(y-3)^(1/2)=x
then i plugged 0 in for y and got 3+(3^(1/2)) and 3-(3^(1/2))
is that correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
x intercept is where y=0.

yes i know that is why i made the equation equal to x and plugged 0 in for y

why not just 0=x^2-6x+3?

you get the same answer i was just taught to solve for x first...so is my answer right or wrong??

Try applying the quadratic formula to x^2-6x+3=0 and see if you get the same answer. I certainly don't.

Following your work:
then i solved for x---- 3+(y-3)^(1/2)=x
then i plugged 0 in for y and got 3+(3^(1/2)) and 3-(3^(1/2))

if you plug in 0 for y in 3+(y-3)^(1/2)=x you most certainly don't get 3+(3)^(1/2)=x, but 3+(-3)^(1/2)=x, which is not the answer.

The reason is that you didn't complete the square correctly: y=x^2-6x+3 --> y=x^2-6x+3+6-6 --> y=(x-3)^2-6 --> y+6=(x-3)^2

okay i see where i made my mistake..so the correct answer is x=3+(6^(1/2)) right?

well yes and x=3-6^.5 also (remember there are 2 roots for a quadratic)

okay thank you for your help :)

1. What is a conic?

A conic is a curve that results from the intersection of a plane and a double-napped cone. It can take the shape of a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola.

2. How do you find the x-intercept of a conic?

To find the x-intercept of a conic, you will need to set the y-coordinate to 0 and solve for the x-coordinate using the equation of the specific conic. For example, for a circle, the equation would be (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius.

3. What is the significance of the x-intercept in a conic?

The x-intercept represents the point where the conic crosses the x-axis. It is useful for finding the roots of the conic and understanding its behavior.

4. Can you have more than one x-intercept for a conic?

It depends on the type of conic. A circle can have up to two x-intercepts, an ellipse can have up to four x-intercepts, a parabola can have one x-intercept, and a hyperbola can have two x-intercepts.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the x-intercept of a conic?

Finding the x-intercept of a conic can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, the shape of an orbit, or the design of a satellite dish.