1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conics in polar equation form

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    I think that i'm over looking something with this problem. Below is the equation of an hyperbola in polar form.

[tex]R=\frac{1}{1 + 2cos{\theta}}[/tex]

when [tex]\theta =\pi[/tex] shouldn't [tex]R = -1[/tex]? And not [tex]R= 1[/tex]
    Am I over looking some property of the [tex]\cos[/tex] function?
    Even when i evalute this expression at [tex]\theta=\pi[/tex]in my ti-89 i get that R is = to 1. What am i not seeing?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2
    You have made a mistake,im afraid.
    Even if you find that R=-1,it is just a mathmatic form.
    R is always positive,you can just say R=|1/2cos(theta)|
    If still don't understand,contact me at wangkehandsome@hotmail.com,I will be glad to anwser it for you and even be more glad if you point out my fallacy.

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3
    Well, then he hasn't made a mistake: the given expression is just wrong!

5. Apr 30, 2005 #4
    I see the error. Both of you are correct. the expression is not explicit enough. when i plot these points in the xy plane they are (-1,0) BUT the same coordinates in the
    [tex](r,\theta)[/tex] coordinate system are [tex](1,\pi)[/tex] because the radius is always positive

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?