1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conics Problem Part 3

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    On picture above

3. The attempt at a solution
    Again, I just want someone to check my work.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2
    For the first problem on this page, (again from the previous problem) for a hyperbola, [tex]c^2=a^2+b^2 [/tex]

c=distance from center to focii, a = distance from center to vertex
    Incidentally, you don't need to calculate for a since it's given.

4. Jun 13, 2008 #3
    Whoops, I realized that the problem is using a different form of the vertical hyperbola instead of [tex]\frac{(y-k)^2}{a^2}-\frac{(x-h)^2}{b^2}=1[/tex], so in this case switch a and b. In the other problem, where b=10 is correct.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  5. Jun 13, 2008 #4
    For question 2, do you think I was right to mention the (h,k) values as a difference between the two graphs?

6. Jun 13, 2008 #5
    Since (h,k) in the parabolic model is the vertex whereas the (h,k) in the semi-elliptical model is the center, I believe you should also compare the focus of the parabola and the focii of the ellipse.

7. Jun 13, 2008 #6
    We haven't used the terms focus or focii with these problems in class. What do you mean by them?

8. Jun 13, 2008 #7
    Do you mean the center?

9. Jun 13, 2008 #8
    The focii for an ellipse is the point that lies on the major axis(the longer side/axis) of the ellipse. There are two focii in this ellipse. (h+c,k) and (h-c,k). In an ellipse(for both vertial and horizontal ellipses), [tex]b^2=a^2-c^2[/tex], where a is always the large axis and b is the smaller axis.

In a parabola, the there is only one focus. Since this parabola opens down, then the focus is at (h,-c+k).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?