1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conics Question

1. Jun 15, 2006 #1

I started this problem. I dont know really how to set it up. I attached my work. I know it is wrong but I do not know where. the correct answer is 42.2.

Here is the question:

A bridge over a river is supported by a hyperbolic arch which is 200 m wide at the base. The maximum height of the arch is 50 m. How high is the arch at a point 30 m from the center.

I drew a diagram (which I know is incorrect because my work assumes the center is (0,0)

If you have any ideas without looking at my work, anything will be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, sorry for the late response. Blame it on the summer!

Anyway let's take a look at the standard form of the equation of a hyperbola with a vertical transverse axis.

You've drawn one of the vertices at the origin, which is fine. But then you set [itex](h,k)=(0,0)[/itex] which is not fine. Those are the coordinates of the center, which certainly does not coincide with either of the vertices. You've also misidentified [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. They are not the distances given in the problem.

Here's what I would do. Start from the diagram that you've drawn (with the vertex at the origin). That means that the center of the hyperbola is on the y-axis, which implies that [itex]h=0[/itex] in the above equation. Then use the 3 points on your diagram to find [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], and [itex]k[/itex]. You have 3 points and you need to find 3 constants. That should be feasible.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?