Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Conjecture on time.

1. Feb 22, 2017 #1
    The essence of time is change. A driver of change is the 2d Law of Thermodynamics. The expansion of the universe facilitates entropy. These relationships keep me wondering if they are a symmetry. Comments please.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2
    When phsicists talk about physics, they have given words to mathematical quantities. Ultimately, they are talking about measurable quantities that are well defined, and they are talking about equations. The 2nd law of thermodynamics is just an equation, and entropy is a well-defined physical quantity.

So, when you say that "The essence of time is change", we don't like it because you have not defined what essence or change are, in clear mathematical language. In other words, for us, it is philosophy at best, and nonsense at worst. It's the same when you say that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is a "driver of change". It doesn't mean anything. We also don't know what you're thinking of when you use words like "symmetry".

In short, no physicist can answer your question, since it is not a good question.

But it's okay. You seem to have a passion for physics. What science popularizers try to explain to the masses is indeed true, but it is hard to really grasp it without some formal background in mathematics and physics.

Physics is unfortunately hard, and even asking a question that is not nonsense is difficult, so don't panic. I encourage you to get some formal background in physics, or to keep reading and asking questions regarding what you have read, whichever suits you better.

4. Feb 22, 2017 #3
    Not sure what you mean by "a symmetry", but yeah, expansion of the universe is increasing entropy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted