Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjecture Time!

1. Jun 30, 2013 #1
    I don't know if this is the proper thing to call it, but I haven't used any mathematical terminology in a while so I think I will try :P

The number of imperfect roots between any two consecutive perfect roots will always be twice the preceding root number.

for example there is 2 imperfect roots between ## \sqrt1 and \sqrt4## and 6 in between ##\sqrt9 and \sqrt16## This pattern seems to work I have tried this up for large numbers and it seems to hold, it seems like it should very easy to prove and I am working on this proof as we speak, but I think I could use a little help...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Hint: if n^2 is a perfect square, the next perfect square is (n+1)^2. How many integers (edit: better) are between those two numbers?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. Jun 30, 2013 #3
    I don't understand the question mfb? there are countably infinite number, correct?

My question is strictly for natural number D:

5. Jun 30, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

I mean integers only, of course.

6. Jun 30, 2013 #5
    Well, then it would always be a odd number. unless you count the number you start on then it should be even every time?

7. Jun 30, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

How is 2 (as an example, the number of integers between 1 and 4) odd?
    You can expand (n+1)^2 and get the number of integers between n^2 and (n+1)^2...

8. Jun 30, 2013 #7
    Sorry, I was counting like this 1...2*...3*...4*, I counted each element, like the distance >.< LOL! But you are right that is true, so it works for both squares and square roots, oh that is interesting, I should have checked that case... but now the real question is "Can I make a generalization for this for the n-th root of any "consecutive" numbers like##\sqrt[n]m## and ##\sqrt[n]k## are there n times the previous number where m and k are integers?" But I think you answered my question.

9. Jun 30, 2013 #8
    Let ##n## be a positive integer. You are looking to see if ##2n+1 \stackrel{?}{=} (n+1)^2-n^2##.

$$2n+1 \stackrel{?}{=} (n+1)^2-n^2 \\ 2n+1 \stackrel{?}{=} ((n+1)-n)((n+1)+n) \\ 2n+1 = 2n+1$$

I don't understand your confusion.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  10. Jun 30, 2013 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Not n times the previous number, but you can get similar (just more complicated) formulas with the same approach as for the square root (n=2).

11. Jun 30, 2013 #10
    So, they become more complicated than just n times the previous number? I mean it works for consecutive square roots of perfect squares, and it would be a little more complicated for consecutive cubes of perfect cubes and all the way forward, This is awesome!

12. Jul 1, 2013 #11

mfb

2016 Award

Just calculate some examples, and you'll see it.

13. Jul 1, 2013 #12
    I did, and thanks, so I guess it busted that hypothesis lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook