1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjugacy of Galois subgroups

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let K be a Galois extension of F. Two intermediate fields E and L of field F are said to be conjugate if there exists
    [tex]\sigma\in\text Gal_F K [/tex] such that [tex]\sigma (E) = L[/tex].
    Prove that E and L are conjugates of F if and only if [tex]\text Gal_E K[/tex] and [tex]\text Gal_L K[/tex] are conjugate subgroups of [tex]\text Gal_F K[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    From left to right, I have it already. I can't figure out how to get anywhere going from the right to left part of the proof.
    I want to show that [tex]\sigma (E)=L [/tex] for some [tex]\sigma\in Gal_F K[/tex].
    Let [tex]\alpha\in Gal_L K , \beta\in Gal_E K[/tex].
    Since [tex]Gal_L K, Gal_E K [/tex]are conjugates, then [tex] Gal_E K=\{\sigma\alpha\sigma^{-1} | \alpha\in Gal_L K\}[/tex] or [tex] Gal_L K=\{\sigma^{-1}\beta\sigma | \beta\in Gal_E K\}[/tex].

[tex]\alpha=\sigma\beta\sigma^{-1}[/tex]
    [tex]\beta=\sigma^{-1}\alpha\sigma[/tex]

I know that [tex]\beta[/tex] fixes E and that [tex]\alpha[/tex] fixes L.

[tex]\alpha (L)=\sigma\beta\sigma^{-1} (L)[/tex]
    [tex]\beta (E)=\sigma^{-1}\alpha\sigma (E)[/tex]

[tex]L=\sigma\beta\sigma^{-1} (L)[/tex]
    [tex]E=\sigma^{-1}\alpha\sigma (E)[/tex]

[tex]\sigma^{-1} (L)=\beta (\sigma^{-1} (L))[/tex]
    [tex]\sigma (E)=\alpha (\sigma (E))[/tex]

[tex]\beta [/tex] fixes [tex]\sigma^{-1} (L)[/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex] fixes [tex]\sigma (E)[/tex]

[tex]\beta\in Gal_{\sigma^{-1} (L)} K[/tex] and [tex]\alpha\in Gal_{\sigma (E)} K[/tex]

From earlier: [tex]\beta\in Gal_E K[/tex] and [tex]\alpha\in Gal_L K[/tex]

So the only conclusion that I have is that the [tex]Gal_{\sigma (E)} K \cap Gal_L K [/tex] and [tex] Gal_{\sigma^{-1} (L)} K \cap Gal_E K[/tex] are nontrivial.

I feel like I should be using the Galois extension, i.e. Galois correspondence, to my advantage here, but I just don't see how it is applicable. It gives me that there exists a isomorphism from the intermediate fields to their respective Galois subgroup, i.e. [tex]\tau (E)=Gal_E K[/tex]. And since isomorphisms are order preserving, I get [tex]\left| {Gal_E K} \right|=\left| {E} \right|[/tex] and [tex]\left| {Gal_L K} \right|=\left| {L} \right|[/tex].

Any direction on the problem is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2
    Shouldn't that argument be carried out on elements of E (and elements of L) rather than on the set E itself (resp. L)? Still get the same conclusion though.

No, better than that, didn't you show

[tex]Gal_L K\subset Gal_{\sigma (E)} K [/tex] and [tex] Gal_E K\subset Gal_{\sigma^{-1} (L)} K[/tex] ?

Would it help now to use [tex]G_1 \subset G_2[/tex] implies [tex]K_{G_1} \supset K_{G_2}[/tex] where [tex]K_G[/tex] denotes the subfield of K fixed by G?

4. May 7, 2009 #3
    Let [tex] G = \textrm{Gal}_L K [/tex] and [tex] H = \textrm{Gal}_E K [/tex]. You have [tex] G = \sigma H \sigma^{-1} [/tex]. Why is it true that if [tex] a \in E [/tex] and [tex] \tau \in G [/tex], then [tex] \tau \circ \sigma (a) = \sigma(a) [/tex]? Why does this tell you that [tex] \sigma(E) \subseteq L [/tex] (hint: fundamental theorem of Galois theory)? (The reverse inclusion is basically the same.)

5. May 8, 2009 #4
    Thank you both for your kind help. I see how [tex]
    \sigma(E) \subseteq L
    [/tex] , but i dont see how to get [tex]
    L \subseteq \sigma(E)
    [/tex]

Thanks again!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. May 8, 2009 #5
    You can get [tex] \sigma^{-1}(L) \subseteq E[/tex] so then you have it.

7. May 10, 2009 #6
    Wow, yeah, it's so obvious now. Thank you all for your time. I get it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook