Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjugate acids and bases

1. Jun 8, 2005 #1
    Uggh finally did all the chem problems and studied for the upcoming final but there are 2 questions left unanswered. MAybe someone can help me out with this:

If given a lists of acids, how would one know which 1 is the weakest conjugate base? For example, HF, HNO_2, H_2CO_3, H_3BO_3, HCl, which 1 would be it? I didn't know to solve for it.

Also, a conjudate acid-base pair consists of two substances that:

-differ by 1 proton
    -neutralize each other
    -have equal number of protons
    -satisfy oth definition

BY eliminationg all the choices, i concluded that its none but i'm still not sure.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

The stronger the acid the weaker the conjugate base. It works both sides - the stronger the base, the weaker the conujgate acid.

For every answer eliminated, explain why, so that we can point you to your error.
  4. Jun 9, 2005 #3
    I think it's none because none of the options with the definition of an acid-base pair. They obviously don't neutralize each other and the number of protons in this case is irrelevant. That's what i think anyway. Am i right?
  5. Jun 9, 2005 #4
    i dunno, i would imagine that HCl is the strongest acid and therefore Cl- would be the weakest conjugate base.
  6. Jun 9, 2005 #5

Write down any pair of acid and conjugate base.
  7. Jun 10, 2005 #6

Why is it so? can plz give me the reason that why the conjugate base of an strong acid is weak?

When we define a strong acid (or base), we say that it is an acid (or base) which ionizes to a higher extent in acquous solution. What is the reason that it does so? Is the polarity of its bonds that causes the ionization?
  8. Jun 10, 2005 #7

acid dissociation:

[tex]HA \leftrightarrow H^+ + A^-[/tex]

acid dissociation constant:

[tex]Ka = \frac {[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}[/tex]

conjugated base dissociation:

[tex]A^- + H_2O \leftrightarrow HA + OH^-[/tex]

conjugated base dissociation constant:

[tex]Kb = \frac {[HA][OH^-]}{[A^-]}[/tex]

water dissociation:

[tex]H_2O \leftrightarrow H^+ + OH^-[/tex]

water dissociation constant:

[tex]Kw = [H^+][OH^-][/tex]

and now Ka*Kb:

[tex]Ka Kb = \frac {[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]} \frac {[HA][OH^-]}{[A^-]} =
    [H^+][OH^-] = Kw[/tex]

In other words (or symbols):

[tex]pKa + pKb = pKw[/tex]

The stronger the acid, the weaker the conjugated base.
  9. Jun 11, 2005 #8
    Thanks! this answers my first question, now what about the second one: Is it the polarity of bonds that characterizes a strong acid or base or something else? what is that?

Dooh! please forgive me if I'm HACKING your thread... :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?