Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjugate pairs versus not conjugate pairs

1. Mar 13, 2005 #1
    to make a 25mM buffer with pH5.2 i add 25mM ethanoic acid with 25mM sodium ethanoate. after adjusting the pH, the buffer will still be 25mM.

will this also be the case if i use 25 mM Tris-base and 25 mM phosphoric acid? will i still get a buffer with 25mM after adjusting the pH to 5.2 with the phosphoric acid?

the first one is a conjugate pair (ethanoic acid and sodium ethanoate), while the second one is not a conjugate pair (Tris-base and phosphoric acid)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. You'll need a conjugate pair for a buffer solution, although I'm not sure if your method complies with any other existing ways to make a buffer.

Buffers solutions exists through common ion effect, this is why for the most part the concentration of the conjugates do not undergo equilibrium; I believe that it may be an entropical phenomenon, somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?