Conjugating Subgroups: Proving |X_K| Divides |K|

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kiwi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjugate
In summary, to conclude that the number of elements in $X_K$ is a divisor of $|K|$, we can use the fact that $X_K$ is in one-to-one correspondence with $K^*$, which has the same number of elements as $K^*$. By defining a function from $K$ to $K^*$ and using the isomorphism theorem, we can show that $X_K$ is isomorphic to $K/(N \cap K)$, which has a number of elements that divides $|K|$. Therefore, we can conclude that the number of elements in $X_K$ is a divisor of $|K|$.
Kiwi1
I have answered all parts of the following question except for the very last sentence:
'Conclude that the number of elements in X_K is a divisor of |K|.'

View attachment 4366

MY THOUGHTS
Presumably I must argue that ord(K*) divides ord(K).

Clearly Ord(K*) =< ord (K).
Also I can show that for any element Na in K*: ord (Na) divides ord (K)
But this is not sufficient.

N and K are both subgroups of G. But I know nothing of any relationship between N and K other than that they have the identity element in common.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• QuestionI.jpg
    QuestionI.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kiwi,

Since $X_K$ is in one-to-one correspondence with $K^*$, it has just as many elements as $K^*$. How many elements are in $K^*$? (Use Problem 8).

I don't see how to use question 8 (yet). But does this work?

Define a function g from K to K* such that g(a)=Na
this is an onto homomorphism with Kernel (N intersection K), so by the isomorphism theorem:
K/(N intersection K) is isomorphic to K*

But ord (K/(N intersection K)) divides ord (K)

so ord(K*) divides ord (K)

therefore ord (X_K) divides ord(K)

Edit: that does not work because the isomorphism theorem is not introduced for another 2 chapters.

Last edited:

What is a conjugating subgroup?

A conjugating subgroup is a subgroup of a group that can be obtained by conjugating a given subgroup by an element of the group. This means that for any element in the conjugating subgroup, there exists another element in the original subgroup that, when conjugated by an element in the group, gives the element in the conjugating subgroup.

What does it mean for |X_K| to divide |K|?

If |X_K| divides |K|, it means that the order of the conjugating subgroup, denoted by |X_K|, is a factor of the order of the original subgroup, denoted by |K|. In other words, the number of elements in the conjugating subgroup is a divisor of the number of elements in the original subgroup.

Why is it important to prove that |X_K| divides |K|?

Proving that |X_K| divides |K| is important because it helps us understand the structure of the group and its subgroups. It also allows us to make certain conclusions about the relationship between the conjugating subgroup and the original subgroup, which can be useful in solving problems in group theory.

How do you prove that |X_K| divides |K|?

To prove that |X_K| divides |K|, you can use the Lagrange's theorem, which states that the order of any subgroup of a finite group divides the order of the group. This means that if we can show that the conjugating subgroup is a subgroup of the original subgroup, we can use Lagrange's theorem to prove that |X_K| divides |K|.

What are some real-life applications of conjugating subgroups?

Conjugating subgroups have many applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. In mathematics, they are used to study the structure of groups and to solve problems in group theory. In physics, they are used to describe symmetries in physical systems. In computer science, they are used in cryptography and coding theory to generate secure codes and to detect errors in data transmission.