Which Materials Are Conjugated Polymers?

• Thread starter Agalev
  • Start date
In summary, a pi bond is present in the third, fourth, and fifth molecules, but not in the second molecule. Alternating means that a single and double bond are present in a repeated pattern.
Agalev
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template. You have to show your attempts at solving the problem to receive help, this is a forum policy.
Hey,

I'm having a problem for some time finding out which of these materials are conjugated polymers and which aren't.

Can somebody please help me?
polymeren1.png

polymeren2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
How are they defined?

This is the only thing I got are the pictures and the defenition of conjugated materials. But I don't know which one's have pi-bonds

Sole presence of pi bonds is not enough.

But let's start from here. What is a pi bond? Where is it present?

There has to be an alternating single and double bond like in the second molecule. Also in the thirth a double bound can shift to a single

There are no alternating single and double bonds in the second molecule!

they have to be round molecules? So 3,4 and the last one are the conjugated polymers

Nope. What does "alternate" mean? Compare

-=-=-=-=-=-

and

---=---=---=---

Which one would you call "alternate"?

Yes the first one is alternating. But how does the alternation work when the molecule is round? Is it like the last molecule?

It doesn't have to go all the way around, but in general it is the same, you are looking for a path consisting of alternate double/single bonds.

To make things more complicated some of these "round" systems are aromatic, which makes their properties different, but that's another story.

Ok thanks for your help so far! I thought alternating meant that a bound switches from single to double and vicacersa.

So they are all conjugated except for te second one?

Or is something else to be conciderid for the aromatic compounds?

Fro the polymer to be considered conjugate I don't think it is enough that it contains conjugate bonds - I think the conjugate bond system must extend to the whole molecule (which means it must go through the "main linking chain" of the polymer).

Thanks a lot, you helpt me a great deal

1. What are conjugated polymers/materials?

Conjugated polymers/materials are organic materials that have a delocalized π-electron system, allowing for the movement of electrons along the molecular chain. This results in unique properties such as electrical conductivity, optical absorption, and energy storage capabilities.

2. What are the applications of conjugated polymers/materials?

Conjugated polymers/materials have a wide range of applications, including organic solar cells, light-emitting diodes, transistors, sensors, and batteries. They are also used in medical devices, such as biosensors and drug delivery systems.

3. How are conjugated polymers/materials synthesized?

Conjugated polymers/materials are typically synthesized through polymerization reactions, where monomers with conjugated π-electron systems are linked together to form long chains. This can be done using various methods, such as oxidative polymerization or Grignard metathesis.

4. What are the advantages of using conjugated polymers/materials?

One of the main advantages of conjugated polymers/materials is their tunable properties, as different types of monomers can be used to create materials with specific electrical, optical, and mechanical properties. They are also lightweight, flexible, and cost-effective compared to traditional inorganic materials.

5. What are the challenges in using conjugated polymers/materials?

One of the main challenges in using conjugated polymers/materials is their relatively low conductivity compared to inorganic materials. This can limit their use in certain applications, such as high-power electronics. Additionally, their stability and durability can be a concern, as they can degrade over time due to exposure to oxygen and moisture.