Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjugated polymers

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    Hi!
    I have a question related to conductivity of conjugated polymers. I found that they could become conductive if they're dopped with any other element. Is it 1D conductivity because I read that electrons are not so mobile between the chains of polymers in a bulk, but they are along a polymer chain?

I understood that the polymers used in PV cells are semiconductive (P type). Am I right?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2
    Yes, the conductivity is mainly 1D because the conduction electrons are pi electrons that are delocalized along the polymer's carbon backbone. Conduction can occur between polymer chains, however, if an electron "hops" from one chain to the next.

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    The mobility of conjugated polymers is very, very dependent on the intermolecular structure. For instance, P3HT can form a herring bone structure that allows for two dimensional mobility.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook