Conjure a figure out of water and steam

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to capture waste steam and convert it to energy. They are specifically interested in knowing the pressure and velocity at which the steam emerges from a container where it has been used to dry wood. The individual already knows the saturated steam heat and the motive power causing the steam to exit is the expansion of air and water vapor. However, the focus is on recovering energy through condensing the steam.
vespak
I don't know if anyone can help but I have a friend who wants to capture his waste steam and convert it to energy - that's the easy bit - the difficulty is how to work out how much energy he has in the first place. He is drying wood by heating a container to 160oC over a period of approx 40 hours which produces 16,000 litres of water in the form of steam. That exits the container (2.4 x 2.4 x 6m) through a 400mm flue. In order to capture this I want to put a shell and tube heat exchanger in the flue (I don't mind if this converts the steam back to water, we have another use for that) In order to make this work effectively I need to know what the likely pressure and or velocity does the steam emerge at. I appreciate that there will be a gradual build up in pressure. Its the last 24 hours I am interested in where there is a constant temperature and so presumably a reasonably constant velocity. We already know the saturated steam heat is around 120oC. The only motive power causing the steam to exit the container is the expansion of the air & water vapour/steam inside the container. Fans circulate the heated air inside the container and the flue is sited at the base of the container half way up its length. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You don't really need velocity and even the pressure isn't all that important unless it is very high. The vast majority of the energy to be recovered comes from condensing the steam unless you can cool it well below boiling temp, so by multiplying the mass of steam by the latent heat of vaporization of 2200 kJ/kg you get yourself in the ballpark.

Many thanks that's got me going in the right direction.

1. How is it possible to conjure a figure out of water and steam?

Conjuring a figure out of water and steam is possible through a scientific process known as thermodynamics. By manipulating the temperature and pressure of water and steam, it is possible to create a visible figure or shape.

2. What materials are needed for conjuring a figure out of water and steam?

The materials needed for this experiment include a heat source, a container for the water and steam, and a cooling agent such as ice or cold water. Other tools such as beakers and thermometers may also be useful.

3. Can anyone perform this experiment or is it limited to scientists?

Anyone can perform this experiment as long as they have access to the necessary materials and follow proper safety precautions. However, a basic understanding of thermodynamics and scientific method may be helpful in understanding the results.

4. Is there a specific shape or figure that can be conjured out of water and steam?

The shape or figure that can be conjured out of water and steam will depend on the specific conditions of the experiment, such as temperature, pressure, and the shape of the container. With the right conditions, it is possible to create various shapes and figures.

5. Are there any real-life applications for conjuring a figure out of water and steam?

Conjuring a figure out of water and steam may seem like a simple experiment, but it has real-life applications in industries such as power generation, refrigeration, and air conditioning. Understanding the behavior of water and steam under different conditions is crucial for these technologies to function efficiently.