Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connect between observer effect(quantum mechanics)and measurement of stress strain

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    I am not a theoretical physicist but I have heard of Schrodinger's cat. It is a fact that stresses and strains measured along a structure are directional i.e the stresses and strains vary according to the direction you orient your strain gauge in. Does this have any connection with the 'observer effect' I read so often in blogs.Has there been any relation established between such a macro and micro system? i.e where the observer is considered part of the system.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: connect between observer effect(quantum mechanics)and measurement of stress strai

No, the observer effect has no relation to the way you measure strain and stress. The observer effect, in classical physics, simply means that you must interact and change a system a small amount if you want to measure something. In Quantum Mechanics the idea is much more complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook