Connected body impact problem

• Thread starter TheFerruccio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Impact
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two horizontal bars connected by a frictionless pin and the location of the pin where it should impact the bars to ensure rigid body rotation. The equations used in the attempt at solving the problem include conservation of angular and linear momentum, relative velocity equation, and the assumption of a plastic impact. The poster also mentions the need for another equation to solve for the remaining unknowns. The conversation ends with a suggestion to approach the problem using an impulse method to determine the forces and moments at the pin position.
TheFerruccio

Homework Statement

Umnh4Jx.png

Two horizontal bars connected by a frictionless pin are released and allowed to fall and impact a fixed pin. Where must the pin impact the bars to ensure rigid body rotation?

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular and linear momentum, relative velocity equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Pin location: x
Initial system velocity: [itex]v[/itex]
Left rotation: [itex]\omega_1[/itex]
Right rotation: [itex]\omega_2[/itex]
Left velocity: [itex]v_1[/itex]
Right velocity: [itex]v_2[/itex]

Coefficient of restitution was not given, so I assumed a plastic impact, whereby it impacts the pin and rotates with the surface resting against the pin (so, restitution coef = 0). I also don't think gravity matters in this problem, since the impulse force is orders of magnitude greater than the force due to gravity. Meaning: This system could happen independent of gravity, and the pin should be located in the same place.

Angular momentum about the pin is conserved. I can also use kinematics to relate [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex] to [itex]\omega_1[/itex] and [itex]\omega_2[/itex].

So, my final equation (initial angular momentum about the pin = final angular momentum about the pin) has three unknowns: [itex]\omega_1[/itex] [itex]\omega_2[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex].

I know that, for rigid body behavior, the two [itex]\omega[/itex] terms will be equal, eliminating one unknown. However, I still have two left.

My question is this: Other than angular momentum being conserved about the pin, what other equation do I use to solve for the remaining unknown terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything else I should add to this post? I have the equations written out on paper, but I think I was pretty explicit in what unknowns I needed to continue to solve for.

Basically, the rotations of both the left and the right bar must be the same, and we're asked to find where the two-bar system should impact the pin so the resultant rotation of the system is homogeneous.

The thing you haven't mentioned is the forces acting on the pin.

I would be inclined to do this a slightly different way. First assume the bar is rigid, apply an impulse to it at the pivot position, and find its linear and angular acceleration.

Then cut the bar into two pieces, and find the forces and moments at pin position which give the same accelerations on each piece. You are looking for the solution where the moment at the pin position is zero.

Interesting. Why would this not work using a momentum approach? Is it because there aren't enough unknowns? What would be missing in the analysis if I were to continue with a conservation of momentum approach? I have seen it solved using an impulse method, though I have seen lots of other problems solved using a momentum approach.

I would use the relative velocity equation to solve for the remaining unknown terms. This equation states that the relative velocity of two points on a rotating body is equal to the cross product of the angular velocity and the distance between the points. In this problem, we can use this equation to relate the velocities of the two bars at the point of impact to their respective angular velocities. This, combined with the conservation of angular momentum, will allow us to solve for the unknown terms and determine the location of the pin to ensure rigid body rotation.

1. What is a connected body impact problem?

A connected body impact problem is a type of physics problem where two or more bodies are connected or in contact with each other and experience a collision or impact. This type of problem is important in understanding the dynamics of systems such as vehicles, machines, and structures.

2. How is the impact of connected bodies calculated?

The impact of connected bodies is typically calculated using principles of conservation of momentum and energy. This involves analyzing the forces and velocities of the bodies before and after the impact and solving equations to determine the final velocities and resulting forces.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a connected body impact?

The outcome of a connected body impact is affected by several factors such as the masses and velocities of the bodies, the angle and direction of impact, and the materials and properties of the bodies. These factors can greatly influence the resulting forces and damage caused by the impact.

4. What are some real-life applications of connected body impact problems?

Connected body impact problems have many real-life applications, including car collisions, sports collisions, and structural failures. They are also important in designing safety features for vehicles and structures, as well as predicting the effects of natural disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis.

5. Are there any limitations to the calculations for connected body impact problems?

While the calculations for connected body impact problems can provide a good estimate of the outcome, they are based on simplified models and assumptions. In reality, there may be factors or variables that are not accounted for, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations. Additionally, the calculations may not accurately predict the effects of impacts at very high speeds or in extreme conditions.