Connected masses, friction enabled

• Thread starter CactuarEnigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the tension of the rope is 27.3N and the acceleration of the system is 1.29m/s^2. The forces of friction for each block are 11.76N and 17.64N, found using the coefficient of kinetic friction and the mass and acceleration of each block. These values were used to apply Newton's second law to each block separately and solve for the tension of the rope.
CactuarEnigma
Two blocks connected by a rope of negligible mass are being dragged by a horizontal force F. F = 68.0N, m1 = 12.0kg, m2 = 18.0kg, and coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.100. I need the tension of the rope and the acceleration of the system.

[m1]---[m2]--->F

I found the acceleration by subtracting the force of friction for both blocks from the force being applied, then dividing that by the total mass, getting 1.29m/s^2. I'm not sure how to find the tension. I tried a few things, and I'm not getting the correct answer of 27.2N. Any advice on how to go in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with Newton's second law. F=ma

List all the forces acting upon the object. (A free body diagram will help with this)

Thanks for the response. For m1, I have fk1 with a horizontal negative force, T with a horizontal positive force, n1 and m1g opposite and equal. For m2 I have fk2 and T horizontal negative, F horizontal positive, and n2 and m2g opposite and equal. The tension for both of those is equal... and I'm still not sure what to do next. Another hint, please?

Apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass separately. You'll get two equations and two unknowns. Solve!

For m1, T - fk1 = SigmaF1. SigmaF1 = m1 * a.
T - 11.8N = 12.0kg * 1.29m/s^2, T = 27.28 or 27.3N which is almost right... did I do that correctly and I just rounded too early, or is that just a coincidence?

You did it correctly.

CactuarEnigma said:
Two blocks connected by a rope of negligible mass are being dragged by a horizontal force F. F = 68.0N, m1 = 12.0kg, m2 = 18.0kg, and coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.100. I need the tension of the rope and the acceleration of the system.

[m1]---[m2]--->F

I found the acceleration by subtracting the force of friction for both blocks from the force being applied, then dividing that by the total mass, getting 1.29m/s^2. I'm not sure how to find the tension. I tried a few things, and I'm not getting the correct answer of 27.2N. Any advice on how to go in the right direction?

How do you find those forces of friction for each block? I know we have the coefficient, and the total force...

2clients said:
How do you find those forces of friction for each block? I know we have the coefficient, and the total force...

He found it by using Fk1 = Uk(mu sub 'k')N with N = mg (but in the opposite direction)
Force of Friction of Block 1 = (.1)(12.0 kg)(9.8 m/s²) = 11.76 N
Force of Friction of Block 2 = (.1)(18.0 kg)(9.8 m/s²) = 17.64 N

What is the concept of connected masses?

The concept of connected masses refers to a system where two or more masses are connected together by a string, rope, or other means. This connection allows the masses to move together and affects the movement of each individual mass.

How does friction affect connected masses?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so in the case of connected masses, friction can cause the masses to move at different rates or even prevent movement altogether. Friction can also cause the string or connection between the masses to stretch or become taut, affecting the overall movement of the system.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in connected masses?

In connected masses, static friction refers to the force that must be overcome to set the masses in motion, while kinetic friction refers to the force that resists the movement of the masses once they are in motion. Both types of friction can affect the movement of connected masses in different ways.

How can the coefficient of friction be determined in connected masses?

The coefficient of friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move the connected masses and the weight of the masses. The ratio of these two values is equal to the coefficient of friction.

What are some real-world applications of connected masses with friction?

Connected masses with friction can be found in many real-world scenarios, such as in pulley systems, elevators, and even in the movement of vehicles with trailers. Understanding the principles of connected masses with friction is important in engineering and designing efficient and safe systems.