Connected masses on a cylinder

• Thread starter bobred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the problem involves finding the equation of motion for a system consisting of two particles, P1 and P2, with masses 2m and 3m respectively, connected by a model string. P2 is initially hanging vertically below P1. The equations for P1 and P2 are obtained using Newton's 2nd law and energy conservation. P2's motion is simplified by considering a non-polar coordinate system. The final result for N is \texttt{N}=\frac{6mg}{5}(3\sin\theta-2\theta), which can be obtained by substituting the calculated values for \dot{\theta}^2 and \ddot{\theta} into the equation for N.
bobred

Homework Statement

Find the equation of motion, see diagram. Masses are P1 2m and P2 3m.

Homework Equations

Particle 1
[tex]\texttt{T}_1=\texttt{T}_1\texttt{e}_\theta[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{N}_1=\texttt{N}_1\texttt{e}_r[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{W}_1=-2mg\sin\theta{e}_r-2mg\cos\theta{e}_\theta[/tex]

Particle
[tex]\texttt{T}_2=\sin\theta{e}_r+\cos\theta{e}_\theta[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{W}_2=-3mg\sin\theta{e}_r-3mg\cos\theta{e}_\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Newton's 2nd law [tex]m\texttt{a}=\texttt{F}[/tex]

P1
[tex]-2mR\dot{\theta}^2\texttt{e}_r+2mR\ddot{\theta}\texttt{e}_\theta=-2mg\sin\theta{e}_r-2mg\cos\theta{e}_\theta+\texttt{N}_1\texttt{e}_r+\texttt{T}_1\texttt{e}_\theta[/tex]

P2
[tex]-3mg=\sin\theta{e}_r+\cos\theta{e}_\theta-3mg\sin\theta{e}_r-3mg\cos\theta{e}_\theta[/tex]

Does what I have done look ok? The string is a model string so [tex]\texttt{T}_1=-\texttt{T}_2[/tex]. How can I find [tex]\texttt{N}[/tex] and [tex]\texttt{T}[/tex]?

Attachments

• q4a.png
    q4a.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with the dimension of the second equation of P2?
Does the problem provide any initial condition? Under some certain circumstances, the problem may be less complicated.
Let's consider the problem in general case. P2 swings (and maybe goes up or down) and thus, the section connected to P2 in general is not in vertical position. Therefore, in general, the angle coordinate of P2 is not theta.
I suggest a way to look at the problem, though I'm not sure if it's an easy way. The system's position is described by 3 coordinates: theta for P1, alpha and r for P2.

EDIT: I'm sorry, 2 coordinates are enough: theta and either alpha or r.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Hi

The system is initially at rest with P1 at B. P2 hangs vertically below A.

For P2 should I be using rectangular components instead of polar.James

Last edited:
Okay, so that's much easier. Then the equation for P2 is: [tex]3mg - T = 3m\ddot{y}[/tex]

We also have this: [tex]y=R\theta [/tex]

Therefore, [tex]3mg - T = 3mR\ddot{\theta }[/tex] (1)

We also have 2 equations for P1:

[tex]2mR \ddot{\theta }=T-2mgcos \theta [/tex] (2)

[tex]2mR \dot{\theta }^2=2mgsin \theta - N[/tex] (3)

From (1) and (2), get rid of T and do the integration, you will have [tex]\dot{\theta }(\theta )[/tex]. Combine with (3), you should have [tex]N(\theta )[/tex].

Actually if you apply the energy conservation law, things are much easier :smile:

I take it that P2 has a non-polar coordinate system i.e. x/y?

Thanks

Yes, that's the easiest way to analyze P2's motion. In this problem particularly, you even only need 1 coordinate (either x or y) for P2.

Thanks, great help.

James

Hi

I have completed the question, thanks for your help.
But I'm asked to show that

[tex]\texttt{N}=\frac{6mg}{5}(3\sin\theta-2\theta)[/tex]

I have integrated and substituted into eqn 3, I get

[tex]\texttt{N}=2mg\sin\theta-2mR\ddot{\theta}^2[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{N}=2mg\sin\theta-2mR(\frac{g}{5R}(3\theta-2\sin\theta))[/tex]
[tex]\texttt{N}=\frac{2mg}{5}(3\sin\theta-3\theta)[/tex]

Can you see where I am going wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
I got the 1st answer. Can you show me your work?

EDIT: I think you got wrong [tex]\dot{\theta }^2[/tex]
I got: [tex]\dot{\theta }^2 = \frac{2}{5mR}(3mg\theta - 2mgsin\theta )[/tex]

Last edited:
Sorry, I was a bit too hasty, I missed the 2g out, duh!

Thanks

Hi

One thing I had forgotten about was the constant of integration, which I have found from the initial conditions of [tex]\theta=0[/tex] to be [tex]\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]. We are also told that the system starts from rest so am I right in thinking that rate of rotation [tex]\dot{\theta}^2=0[/tex]?

Thanks

Yes :smile:

Thanks for all your help.

James

hikaru1221 said:
I got the 1st answer. Can you show me your work?

EDIT: I think you got wrong [tex]\dot{\theta }^2[/tex]
I got: [tex]\dot{\theta }^2 = \frac{2}{5mR}(3mg\theta - 2mgsin\theta )[/tex]

Hi
Been working thru this problem and I get to here and can't figure out how you arrived at the result.. could you explain it further??
Thanks

Using

[tex]\ddot{\theta}=\dfrac{g}{5R}\left(3-2\cos\theta\right)[/tex]

Whoops, see below.

Last edited:
Using

[tex]\ddot{\theta}=\dfrac{g}{5R}\left(3-2\cos\theta\right)[/tex] multiply both sides by [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex]

Using the fact that [tex]\dfrac{d}{dt}\left(\dot{\theta}^{2}\right)=2\dot{\theta}\ddot{\theta}[/tex] insert this into the above equation and integrating both sides gives

[tex]\dot{\theta}^{2}=\dfrac{2g}{5R}\left(3\theta-2\sin\theta\right)+2c[/tex]

From the given initial conditions c = 0

[tex]N=2mgsin \theta - 2mR \dot{\theta }^2[/tex] inserting [tex]\dot{\theta}^{2}=\dfrac{2g}{5R}\left(3\theta-2\sin\theta\right)[/tex] into tis equation gives

[tex]
\texttt{N}=\frac{6mg}{5}(3\sin\theta-2\theta)
[/tex]

James

Thanks James :)

1. How are masses connected on a cylinder?

The masses are connected through a string or rope that is wrapped around the cylinder, with one end attached to each mass.

2. What is the purpose of connecting masses on a cylinder?

The purpose is to study the dynamics and behavior of a system with connected masses, which can help us understand concepts such as tension, acceleration, and energy transfer.

3. How does the radius of the cylinder affect the system?

The radius of the cylinder can affect the system by changing the amount of friction and the angle at which the string is wrapped around the cylinder, which can impact the acceleration and tension in the system.

4. What factors can influence the motion of the connected masses?

The motion of the connected masses can be influenced by factors such as the mass and weight of each object, the surface of the cylinder, and the angle at which the string is wrapped around the cylinder.

5. Can connected masses on a cylinder be used to represent real-world situations?

Yes, connected masses on a cylinder can be used to model various real-world situations, such as a pulley system or a Ferris wheel, where objects are connected and move in a circular motion.