1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connected Particles

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two bodies A and B of equal mass m, connected by a light inextensible string, are placed on a smooth horizontal table with the string just taut. A is projected with velocity U at 45 degrees to the direction AB. Determine the impuslive tension in the string when it becomes taut.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, following from previous examples i tried to find the momentum in direction AB and perpendicular to AB.

Momentum in direction AB

mu + mu = U cos45
    2mu = Ucos45
    u = (Ucos45) / 2m

Momentum perpendicular to AB
    mv = U sin45
    v = (Usin45)/m

Impulsive Energy at A
    T = mu
    = (Ucos45)/2
    = (U * 1/root2)/2

I think i've gotten it wrong. answer should be 1/4 m U root 2. can anyone help me out? I don't know if it's an algebra problem or (most likley) a method problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2007 #2
    try expressing the cos 45 as sqrt(2)/2, subbing that= u*sqrt(2)/4

4. Mar 5, 2007 #3
    annoyingly i've lost an 'm' somewhere, but otherwise the answer checks out :)

i didn't know cos 45 could be expressed as root(2)/2 ? or have you done some mathmatical jiggery-pokery that i have missed?

5. Mar 5, 2007 #4
    no real trickery, just dividing or multiplying both top and bottom by sqrt(2).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?