Connected Sets and Their Interiors: Baby Rudin Exercise 2.20 Example

In summary, Baby Rudin thinks that the interior of a dumbbell-shaped closed set in \mathbb{R}^2 is disconnected, but is not sure how to prove this. He is considering a proof by contradiction. If someone could help him with this, it would be much appreciated.
Mogarrr

Homework Statement

This is from Baby Rudin Exercise 2.20- Are closures and interiors of connected sets always connected? (Look at subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2 [/itex]).

Homework Equations

The interior is the set of all interior points for a set E that is a subset of a metric space X.

A subset Y of a metric space X is disconnected if and only if there are open subsets U, V of X satisfying:
1) [itex]U \cap Y \neq \emptyset [/itex], [itex] V \cap Y \neq \emptyset[/itex]
2) [itex] Y \subset U \cap V[/itex]
3) [itex]U \cap V \cap Y = \emptyset [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It's best if I draw a picture, but I was basically thinking of a dumbbell in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2 [/itex], that is two closed circles with a line segment connecting them.

I can prove that the interior of this shape is disconnected, however I am having some trouble showing that the original set, the dumbbell is connected.

This is homework for a class where the teacher takes points off (or fails to give points, you know you're perspective of the half empty/ half full glass) for not having justification.

So how to justify this set, the dumbbell, is connected. I've thought of using proof by contradiction, but I'm not sure where the contradiction will come, and I'm running low on time. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I you can show that the ends of the dumbbell are both connected sets, then the line between them is a connection. If you can connect all subsets of a set without leaving the set, then the set is connected.
Mogarrr said:
A subset Y of a metric space X is disconnected if and only if there are open subsets U, V of X satisfying:
1) [itex]U \cap Y \neq \emptyset [/itex], [itex] V \cap Y \neq \emptyset[/itex]
2) [itex] Y \subset U \cap V[/itex]
3) [itex]U \cap V \cap Y = \emptyset [/itex]
I am not sure that these are consistent requirements.

Then, I'd have to show the closed circle in [itex] \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] is connected. But I'm not really sure how to do that?

I suppose a proof by contradiction, assuming the closed circle is disconnected... (that's pretty much the only technique I got when it comes to connected sets).

I suppose if any 2 of the three statements for disconnected sets is assumed to be true, then I'd get a contradiction when using the last statement.

You can define then to be connected. Your goal is to show that the interiors are not connected.
Go back to the definition of connected.
You have connected sets A and B that are disjoint and disconnected from each other. Connect them with a line.
Now they are connected.

Likes Mogarrr
RUber said:
You can define then to be connected. Your goal is to show that the interiors are not connected.
Go back to the definition of connected.
You have connected sets A and B that are disjoint and disconnected from each other. Connect them with a line.
Now they are connected.

I think the difficulty that Mogarrr is having is working within the confines of the definition he/she has been given (which, by the way, should read ##Y\subset U\cup V## in the second condition). If you could demonstrate how the intuitive notion of "connecting" a disconnected pair of connected sets with a line actually gives a connected set per the definition, that might be more helpful.

Likes Mogarrr
Thanks gopher p,
If all you have to work with is the definition of disconnected, then I recommend approaching it like this:
It should be easy to show (or simply by assumption) that your two subsets (the ends of the barbell), A and B are disconnected. Let L be the line connecting them.
##L \cap A =\{p_a\}## where ##p_a## is the point where L meets A.
##L \cap B=\{p_b\}## where ##p_b## is the point where L meets B.
Now apply the definition of disconnected to show that ##Y=A \cup B \cup L## is not disconnected...and therefore connected.
Note that the fact that the subsets have to be open prevents you from dividing up the subsets cleanly.

Thanks guys. Actually, I switched the example to 2 closed balls that just touch each either in [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex] and to show this was connected, I just looked at a line that intersects the disconnections, and then showed how there can't be a disconnection there.

What is a connected set example?

A connected set example refers to a set of data points or elements that are connected in a meaningful way. This could mean that there is a logical relationship between the elements, or that they are physically connected in some way.

Why is it important to study connected set examples?

Studying connected set examples can help us better understand the relationships between different data points or elements. This can lead to new insights or discoveries, and can also help us make predictions or decisions based on the connections between the elements.

What are some real-life examples of connected sets?

Some real-life examples of connected sets include social networks, where individuals are connected through relationships or mutual friends, and transportation networks, where cities or locations are connected through roads, railways, or air routes.

How do you determine if a set is connected or not?

To determine if a set is connected, you can look at the relationships between the elements. If there is a clear connection or relationship between each element, then the set is likely connected. On the other hand, if there are no connections or relationships between the elements, the set is likely not connected.

What are the applications of studying connected set examples?

Studying connected set examples has various applications in different fields, such as computer science, biology, and social sciences. For example, studying connected sets in computer science can help in network analysis and optimization, while studying connected sets in biology can aid in understanding genetic networks and biochemical pathways.