1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connected Sets

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since things are a bit quiet here, I thought I would throw out a puzzle I came up with several years ago, after reading an article on connected sets:

Find two sets, P and Q, satisfying:

1) Both P and Q are completely contained in the (closed) rectangle in R2 with vertices at (1, 1), (1, -1), (-1, -1), and (-1, 1).

2) P contains the diametrically opposite points (1, 1) and (-1, -1) while Q contains(1, -1) and (-1, 1).

3) P and Q are both connected sets.

4) P and Q are disjoint.

The solution involves the difference between "connected" and "path-wise connected".

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

P is the set of points [itex](x,y)[/itex] such that [itex]x[/itex] is rational and [itex]-1\leq x\leq 1[/itex], and [itex]y[/itex] is irrational and [itex]-1\leq y \leq 1[/itex] along with (1,1) and (-1,-1).

Q is the set of points [itex](x,y)[/itex] such that [itex]x[/itex] is irrational and [itex]-1\leq x\leq 1[/itex], and [itex]y[/itex] is rational and [itex]-1\leq y \leq 1[/itex] along with (1,1) and (-1,-1).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  4. Feb 7, 2006 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

P can be partitioned into the closed sets that correspond to [itex]x+y > 0[/itex] and [itex]x+y < 0[/itex]. Since solutions to [itex]x+y=0[/itex] are not in P, both of those sets are closed (in P), and they're obviously disjoint.

5. Feb 7, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nate, your idea doesn't work. P and Q are not connected. You can disconnect P say be splitting it into two sets, those points in P to the left of the vertical line x=any irrational in (-1,1) and those to the right.

6. Feb 7, 2006 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Editing to make things nicer...

Consider the following sets:
    [tex]P[/itex]
    is a union of the following:
    A vertical line segment at [itex]x=-1, y \in (-1,.5][/itex]
    A vertical line segment at [itex]x=1, y \in [-.5,1)[/itex]
    Horizontal line segments [itex]x \in [-1,.5], y = \sqrt{2} * n - k (\rm{for some} k,n \in \mathbb{Z} \rm{and} y \in [-1,.5][/itex]
    and
    Horizontal line segments [itex]x \in [-.5,.-1], y = \sqrt{2} * n - k (\rm{for some} k,n \in \mathbb{Z} \rm{and} y \in [-.5,.1][/itex]

This could be described as two interleaved infernal combs.
    And [itex]Q[/itex] is [itex]P[/itex]'s complement.
    Clearly each comb is a path-connected subset, so the only possible partition into non-empty closed sets is to split this into the combs, but each comb contains part of the other in its closure. Hence [itex]P[/itex] is connected.

(I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this section.)
    Now, let's assume that [itex]Q[/itex] can be partitioned into disjoint non-empty closed sets A, and B. Since any horizontal intersecting [itex]Q[/itex] forms a connected sets, the projections of A and B onto the horizontal line must be disjoint. Since line segements are connected, at least one of two cannot be a closed set. Without loss of generality, that set is A. Since the projection of A onto the y axis is not closed there is some [itex]y[/itex] that is a limit point of the projection, but not in the projection, but that limit point clearly corresponds to a line segment of limit points of A that are not in A, but are in [itex]A[/itex] - contradicting that A is closed.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  7. Feb 8, 2006 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If anyone cares, I thought of a better example (in the sense that it's a bit easier to prove connectedness) on my way home last night, but it uses the same idea.

8. Feb 11, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NateTG, I'm going to have to think about that for a while. Here' my answer:

Let A be the straight line from (-1,-1) to (0, -1/2). Let B be the set
    {(x,y)| 0< x<= 1/pi, y= 0.8 sin(1/x)+ .1} (0.8 and 0.1 are chosen to lift that slightly above the x-axis but stay within the square), and let C be the straight line from (1/pi,0.1) to (1,1). Let P= A union B union C.

Let X be the straight line from (-1,1) to (0, 1/2). Let Y be the set {(x,y)| 0< x< 1/pi, y= 0.8 sin (1/x)- .1}, and let Z be the straight line from (1/pi,-0.1) to (1,-1). Let Q= X union Y union Z

Each of A, B, C, X, Y, Z is connected B union C and Y union Z are clearly connected since B,C and Y,Z have a point in common. The fact that
    P= A union B union C is connected is clear from the fact that the closure of B includes the entire line (0, y) with y from -0.7 to 0.9 and includes (0, 0.5). The fact that Q= X union Y union Z is connected is clear from the fact that the closure of Y includes the entire line (0, y) with y from -0.9 to 0.7 and includes (0, 0.5).

9. Feb 17, 2006 #8

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice.

I had thought about using
    [tex] (1-|x|) \sin (\frac{1}{x}) \pm {x}[/itex]
    but for whatever reason didn't think of simply splitting the y axis into, for example, positive and negative sections.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?