1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connected Sets.

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    Problem Statement:
    Let Y be a subset of X, and X and Y are connected, show that if A and B form a seperation of X-Y then YUA and YUB are connected.

Attempt at solution:
    Well I'm not sure where the fact that X is connected comes to play (perhaps it gurantees us the possibility of X-Y not to be connected).
    anyway if we look at: seperations of YUB=CUD and YUA=C'UD'
    then Y=(YUB)-B=(C-B)U(D-B), Y=(YUA)-A=(C'-A)U(D'-A)
    which are both seperations of Y which is a contradiction to Y being connected, am I correct here or yet again wrong?

any input?

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks to me like "proof by contradiction": assume YUA is NOT connected and show that X is not connected.

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    Yes I assumed that YUA isn't connected, but got that then Y isn't connected.
    cause if YUA=BUC
    then Y=(YUA)-A=(B-A)U(C-A) which is a seperation of Y.

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    Suppose YUA is not connected, with separation CUD. Since Y is connected, then Y must be a subset of C or D, say Y is a subset of C. Now show that X is not connected.

In the end, you will find that BUC and D are closed subspaces, and thus X = (BUC)UD is a separation of X.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    You mean Y should be D-A or C-A, let's say C-A, then because X-Y=AUB
    then X=XUX-Y=AU(BUC-A)
    which is a separation of X, something like this?

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

then what's your problem? You assumed YUA isn't connected and arrived at a contradiction.

8. Apr 22, 2008 #7
    Are you sure you separated Y correctly?

You will need to use closures in your proof. Make use of the fact that if two sets form a separation, then each set does not meet the closure of the other, i.e. ClA is in X-B, ClB is in X-A, ClC is in X-D, ClD is in X-D.

Suppose YUA is not connected, with separation CUD. Since Y is connected, then Y must be a subset of C or D, say Y is a subset of C. Show that BUC and D are closed subspaces by showing that they equal to their own closure. Then X = (BUC)UD is a separation of X, a contradiction.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  9. Apr 22, 2008 #8
    I just want to see if it's correct, so?

10. Apr 22, 2008 #9
    Your solution is not correct because you didn't separate Y properly (read the precise definition of separation). The correct solution is more complicated than that. The connectedness of X is needed.

11. Apr 24, 2008 #10
    So let me see if I get it A and B form a sparation of X-Y=AUB i.e they are open in X-Y and disjoint.
    now assume YUA=CUD where C and D are open in YUA and disjoint, now
    Y=(YUA)-A=(C-A)U(D-A), but C-A and D-A arent open in Y, then how do i reconcile it.
    I understnad that i need to show that BUC is closed in X and D is closed in X, but how?

12. Apr 26, 2008 #11
    Ok X=(BUC)UD
    and BUC and D are disjoint this I know.
    how to show that cl(BUC) equals BUC?
    we know that
    cl(BUC)=cl(B)Ucl(C)
    and B is closed in X-Y thus B=(X-Y)^cl(B)=cl(B)
    and C is closed in YUA, then C is closed in A and thus also in X-Y, and again we get that B=cl(B)
    for D, we know the same that D is contained in A and thus D=cl(D)
    so both these sets are closed.

is this correct?

13. Apr 26, 2008 #12
  14. Apr 26, 2008 #13
    so the fact that cl(A) is a subset of X-B comes evidently from the fact that:
    A and B are disjoint, and (X-Y)-B equals A, then because clA contains A, it must be contained in X-B which contains (X-Y)-B.

Ok I got it, sorry for my thickness, three exams in four days can make me anxious.

btw, great site, wish I knew it a week ago.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?