Is the statement 'If E is an open connected set then it is convex' true?

• Thread starter EV33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convex
In summary, an open connected set does not necessarily have to be convex. This can be seen by counterexamples, such as the union of two open discs that are not convex.
EV33

Homework Statement

It would make one of my proofs easy if it is true that

" If E is an open connected set then it is convex''.

I have been spending some time trying to prove this. Is this statement even true?

Homework Equations

Convex implies that if x is in E and y is in E then
εx+(1-ε)y is in E where 0<ε<1.

Connected: E cannot be the union the union of two nonempty separated sets.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution looks like this.

Suppose E is open in ℝn. Since E is open implies that there exists a ball around every x in E s.t. b(x) is in E.

Let's choose a y in E s.t. b(y) intersected with b(x) is nonempty. Let's choose a point y* from the intersection. Let's also choose a x* in b(x). Since y* is also in b(x) and all balls are convex implies that εx*+(1-ε)y* is in b(x) union with b(y), where 0<ε<1

Now let's choose another point z s.t. b(z) intersected with b(y) is nonempty. Then similarly,
εy*+(1-ε)z* is in the union of b(x),b(y), and b(z).

Now assuming all this is correct... I am stuck here but I feel like if I can show
εx*+(1-ε)z* is in the union of b(x),b(y), and b(z) then the union of the 3 balls is convex which would imply that E is convex.

I also didn't mention connectedness but I think that comes into play as follows: I can find balls that have no separation and I can union them allowing me to create a path of balls connecting all points.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey EV33

This is just a suggestion based on the intuition of convex sets, but if a set were to be concave, then you could easily show an example of a separated set.

To get an idea of this with regards to the nature of the definition of a convex set, in a non-convex set (concave set) there will be a line that you can draw where one at least one part of that line does not lie in the boundary of the set.

Using this idea you can show that for a concave set, that you can form sets that are separated and thus don't have the property you have specified above.

Maybe I am interpreting what you are saying incorrectly but I think that you are talking about the converse of the "theorem" I stated. I want to show that if a set is open and connected then it is convex. I was not trying to say that if a set is convex then it must be connected.

Let A= {(x,y)| y= 0, [itex]0\le x\le 1[/itex]}

Let B= {(x, y)| x= 0, [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex]}

Let C= {(x, y)| x= 1, [itex]0\le y\le 1[/itex]}

Let D be the union of A, B, and C.

EV33 said:

Homework Statement

It would make one of my proofs easy if it is true that

" If E is an open connected set then it is convex''.

I have been spending some time trying to prove this. Is this statement even true?

Homework Equations

Convex implies that if x is in E and y is in E then
εx+(1-ε)y is in E where 0<ε<1.

Connected: E cannot be the union the union of two nonempty separated sets.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution looks like this.

Suppose E is open in ℝn. Since E is open implies that there exists a ball around every x in E s.t. b(x) is in E.

Let's choose a y in E s.t. b(y) intersected with b(x) is nonempty. Let's choose a point y* from the intersection. Let's also choose a x* in b(x). Since y* is also in b(x) and all balls are convex implies that εx*+(1-ε)y* is in b(x) union with b(y), where 0<ε<1

Now let's choose another point z s.t. b(z) intersected with b(y) is nonempty. Then similarly,
εy*+(1-ε)z* is in the union of b(x),b(y), and b(z).

Now assuming all this is correct... I am stuck here but I feel like if I can show
εx*+(1-ε)z* is in the union of b(x),b(y), and b(z) then the union of the 3 balls is convex which would imply that E is convex.

I also didn't mention connectedness but I think that comes into play as follows: I can find balls that have no separation and I can union them allowing me to create a path of balls connecting all points.

Thank you.

Suppose [itex] A = \{(x,y) : x^2 + y^2 < 1\} \mbox{ and } B = \{(x,y) : (x-1)^2 + y^2 < 1 \}. [/itex] These are open discs of radius 1 centered at (0,0) and (1,0). If C is their union, is C open? Is C connected? Is C convex?

RGV

If I have the two balls A and B and I union them then their union will be open and it will be connected. If I tried to draw a straight line connecting their tops I would fail.

So this implies that the theorem I was trying to prove is false right?

Thank you all for the help.

EV33 said:
If I have the two balls A and B and I union them then their union will be open and it will be connected. If I tried to draw a straight line connecting their tops I would fail.
You mean, "will NOT be connected".

So this implies that the theorem I was trying to prove is false right?

Thank you all for the help.
Yes, your statement "an open connected set is convex" is false. The U shaped example I gave also shows that.

1. What is the concept of connectedness in mathematics?

Connectedness in mathematics refers to the idea that a set or space cannot be divided into two or more nonempty subsets that are completely separated from each other. This means that every point in the set or space must be able to be connected to every other point by a continuous path.

2. How is connectedness related to convexity?

Connectedness and convexity are closely related concepts in mathematics. A set is considered convex if every line segment connecting two points in the set lies entirely within the set. This means that a convex set is also connected, as any two points can be connected by a continuous path within the set.

3. What is the significance of connectedness and convexity in optimization problems?

Connectedness and convexity are important in optimization problems because they allow for efficient and reliable solutions. In particular, convex optimization problems have a unique global minimum, making it easier to find the optimal solution. Connectedness ensures that the solution space is not fragmented, making it easier to search for the optimal solution.

4. Can a set be connected but not convex?

Yes, a set can be connected but not convex. For example, a spiral shape is considered connected because every point can be connected to every other point by a continuous path. However, it is not convex as there are line segments connecting two points that lie outside of the spiral.

5. How can the concepts of connectedness and convexity be applied in real-world problems?

Connectedness and convexity have many practical applications, including in the fields of engineering, economics, and computer science. These concepts can be used to model and solve optimization problems, such as finding the most efficient route for a delivery truck or determining the best pricing strategy for a product. They can also be applied in data analysis and machine learning algorithms to find the most optimal solutions.