Which Power Transmission Option is Best for Connecting a Motor to a Fan?

• Thread starter Fantastic Fox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Motor
In summary: The taper lock has to be installed correctly the first time or it can come loose and cause damage. Follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding the torqueing and anchoring of the taper lock.
Fantastic Fox
I have to design a power transmission from a motor to a fan. There are no restrictions on what I design.

I'm not sure whether I should use a direct (flexible) coupling, a universal joint, or a belt drive. I have designed a belt drive before, and from looking at catalogues, it looks like it's slightly more complicated and time-consuming than the other options since I'll need bearings, pulleys, belts, spacers, two shafts, keys, keyways, etc. and I can simply use a taper lock with coupling. The housing for a belt drive will also be slightly more complicated.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different types? I know with belt drives is there is a jam the belt will slip, so there is a safety element in choosing it.

What would you recommend? I'm leaning towards either a coupling or a belt drive at the moment. I need to decide on one in a few hours.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The easiest things I have ever used are spider type couplings, like those produced by Lovejoy, for this purpose. Of course, you don't say anything about the geometry of the set up you are looking at. These couplers will work very well if you are OK with being close coupled. If you need to separate the two components by a larger distance you can possibly go with a double ended flex pack type of coupler which will get you a little more distance. The nice thing about these is that they are relatively easy to spec out and the only real thing you need is a key way in most cases. Some low torque applications you can get away with just a couple of set screws to mount the coupler.

Belt drives I only consider if I can not mount the two components on the same centerline and the speeds are low. There are some pretty high speed belt systems out there, but the complexity in your system increases.

How about something different, like hydraulic drive? Maybe an automatic transmission out of an old small car from the junkyard...

The geometry of the set up is up to me. I'm going to try to design it using a coupling. They'll be close coupled, and I'll use taper-locks to fix the coupling to the shaft, so there's no need to design keys and keyways. I'll just have to decide on a suitable type of coupling before selecting a suitable size.

If it doesn't work out, I'll use a belt drive. It's running at less than 600rpm (don't have the exact figure off the top of my head) so it could even run with universal joints.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage in separating the motor and fan by a larger distance? (Ignoring the set up logistics)

Using a coupling, is there a need for bearings on both shafts?

Any ideas on what sort of housing I should use if I proceed with the coupling and how I should go about designing it?

Last edited:
How big is this? Or, how many hp?

5.5kW motor

Fantastic Fox said:
5.5kW motor

So 7.3 horsepower... Maybe the car automatic transmission is a bit of overkill, then. What transmission ratio(s) are you considering?

More than likely 1:1.

But, out of interest, could you change transmission ratios using a coupling?

I'll connect a frequency changer to the motor to vary fan speed.

Last edited:
Perhaps you ought to share your full project brief, or at least the key objectives?

I have to design a connection between a motor and a fan @ 10000 m^3/hr. I also have to design a suitable housing. There are no other restrictions.

I selected a 5.5kW motor using a chart, but I could also use say a 7.5kW motor on 3/4 power (both are equally efficient).

I've had a look at belt drives and couplings and have produced some basic design specs.

The belt drive is a very simple 1:1 transmission. Both pulleys have the same pitch diameter

To get a suitable size coupling (bore for the shafts I'm using), I need to use a 11kW motor running at 1/2 power, which as it turns out, is actually slightly more efficient than a 7.5kW at 3/4 power and a 5.5kW at full power.

I think I'll proceed with the coupling since there's less involved (It'll save me having to draw a pulley, and design keys and seats).

Most fans of this size are belt-driven.

russ_watters said:
Most fans of this size are belt-driven.

I actually ended up going with a belt drive.

One question: Am I right in thinking you don't need any keys if you use taper lock pulleys?

Fantastic Fox said:

One question: Am I right in thinking you don't need any keys if you use taper lock pulleys?

correct

they have to installed right the first time other wise they can come lose and cause damage.
follow the manufacturers instructions regarding the torqueing and anchoring of the taper lock on the shaft

Fantastic Fox said:

Just out of curiosity, what led you to do the belt and pulleys?

FredGarvin said:
Just out of curiosity, what led you to do the belt and pulleys?

From the catalogue I have, I wasn't happy with the choice of couplings.

Also, the availability of a certain type of stand. The stands are better suited to belt drives.

It'll work out cheaper.

I also thought about using a combination of couplings and belt drive, but it was an overcomplicated, more expensive and unnecessary solution. (It would involve designing two shafts, the need for more bearings, two couplings, and the belt drive, etc)

I know I came across as a bit all over the place from my above posts. I had a couple of different ideas and was thinking out loud.

Ah. Fair enough. I was just wondering.

1. How do I connect a motor to a fan?

To connect a motor to a fan, you will need to first determine the appropriate size and type of motor for your fan. Once you have the correct motor, you can then use wires and connectors to connect the motor to the power source and the fan blades.

2. Do I need any special tools to connect a motor to a fan?

Depending on the type of motor and fan you are using, you may need some basic tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, and wire cutters. It is also important to have safety gear such as gloves and safety glasses.

3. Can I use any motor to power a fan?

No, it is important to choose a motor that is appropriate for the size and type of fan you are using. If the motor is too small, it may not provide enough power to turn the fan blades, while a motor that is too large may cause the fan to spin too quickly and potentially cause damage.

4. How do I ensure that my motor and fan are connected properly?

Before turning on the power, double check that all wires and connectors are securely attached and that there are no loose parts. You can also test the connection by manually turning the fan blades to see if they spin smoothly.

5. What safety precautions should I take when connecting a motor to a fan?

Always make sure to turn off the power source before working on the motor and fan. Wear safety gear to protect yourself from any potential hazards. If you are unsure about the wiring or connection process, consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's instructions.