Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connecting branches of algebraic functions

1. Dec 11, 2013 #1
    Consider the algebraic function, ##w(z)## given by

$$f(z,w)=z^4(1-z)^3-w^{12}=0$$

where I have shown elsewhere ##w(z)## ramifies over the origin into three 4-cycle branches and four 3-cycle branches over z=1. Now choose one determination of say one of the 4-cycle branches over the point ##z=1/2## which I'll label as ##w(4,1,1)##, that is, determination 1 on the first 4-cycle branch. Now, between the two singular points, these coverings are of course analytically continuous with one another in some way I don't understand so that ##w(4,1,1)## is analytically continuous with some determination of one of the 3-cycle branches about z=1. I'll label the branch and determination over z=1 that ##w(4,1,1)## is analytically continuous with as ##w(3,k,j)## since I don't know either the branch or the determination on that branch.

And therefore, I can do this sort of thing with all 12 coverings. That is, associate ##w(4,n,m)## with ##w(3,k,j)##.

Now, is there any way to figure out the values of ##n,m,k,j## other than by brute-force numerical analysis of the data?

Ok thanks,
    Jack

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted