Troubleshooting Shared Folder Access Between Mac and Windows

In summary, the conversation discusses how to connect to a shared folder on a local Windows 7 computer from a Mac. The process involves entering the smb address of the Windows 7 computer and providing account information. If the shared folder does not appear, the speaker suggests trying to add a $ before the shared folder name or using a wildcard in the smb address. The speaker also mentions not being familiar with Macs, but wishes the listener luck in their attempt to connect.
trueo
From Go->Connect To Server
I then enter smb:192.168.1.15 (the ip address of my running local windows7 with account named "Computer" and password "computer"). I click Connect and then enter the account information to view the popup of "Select the volumes you want to mount on" dialog but it is empty. Do you know how can I add a shared folder in windows that my Mac can view ? Thank you a lot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
smb://192.168.1.15:139

try the above, if it still shows nothing try this

smb://192.168.1.15/*shared folder*

without * and use the name of the shared folder

add a $ before the name of the shared folder as it may for some reason be a hidden share.

i personally don't use mac so the information above may not be accurate but i work with them on an enterprise network and its beyond frustrating haha best of luck.

Likes khanhct678

1. How do I connect to a server from my Mac?

To connect to a server from your Mac, you can use the Finder or the Terminal. In the Finder, go to the "Go" menu and select "Connect to Server." Enter the server's address and click "Connect." In the Terminal, use the "ssh" command followed by the server's address and your login credentials.

2. What is the difference between connecting to a server using FTP or SSH?

FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is used for transferring files between a local computer and a remote server. SSH (Secure Shell) is a more secure way to connect to a server and allows for remote access and file transfer. It is recommended to use SSH for connecting to a server from a Mac.

3. Can I connect to a server using a Mac with a Windows operating system?

Yes, you can connect to a server from a Mac with a Windows operating system. You can use the same methods as connecting from a Mac with a Mac operating system, such as using the Finder or Terminal.

4. How can I troubleshoot connection issues when connecting to a server from my Mac?

If you are having trouble connecting to a server from your Mac, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check your internet connection and make sure you are using the correct server address and login credentials. You can also try restarting your computer and the server. If the issue persists, you may need to contact your network administrator for further assistance.

5. Is it possible to connect to multiple servers at once from my Mac?

Yes, it is possible to connect to multiple servers at once from your Mac. In the Finder, you can use the "Connect to Server" option to connect to multiple servers simultaneously. In the Terminal, you can use the "ssh" command to open multiple connections to different servers in separate windows or tabs.