• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Connecting two Carnot engions- please help

• Thread starter C.E
  • Start date
C.E
1. The efficiency of a cyclic engine is given by the work done by the engine, divided
by the heat intake from the surroundings. One Carnot engine drives another in series. Draw a schematic diagram of the combined engine and give an expression for the overall efficiency of this arrangement which contains only the efficiencies of the individual engines.

3. Hi, I have managed to draw the diagram but am really struggling with the next bit of the question. Let e1, e2 be the efficiencies of engions 1 and 2 respectively and let e be the overall efficiency.

I know that e[tex]\ 1=w1/Q_H and e2=w2/(Q_h-w1)[/tex] but I am struggling to find e in terms of e1 and e2, please help.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Try writing the efficiency of the two engines in combination, then express the variables in terms of [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_2[/itex].

C.E
What do you mean by writing them "in combination"?

I get that overall e= (w1+w2)/Qh = e1+w2/Qh but I can't get w2/Qh solely in terms of e2, any ideas?

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Keep trying, it's possible.

C.E
Ok, here we go!

w2/Qh= (|Qh|-|w1|-|Qc|)/|Qh|=(-|Qc|-|w1|)/|Qh| +1 =1-e1-|Qc|/|Qh|

Therefore (w1+w2)/Qh= 1-|Qc|/|Qh| =(|Qh|-|Qc|)/|Qh| = (w1+w2)/Qh and I am back to

the beggining again. Can you see what I should be doing differently? I can't see any other ways of trying to manipulate the

expression.

Last edited:
C.E
Are there any relevant formulas I have not tried in my above attempt?

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Nope, it's just a matter of manipulating the equations you already have.

C.E
Could you please be a bit more specific? (I Have been stuck on this for a while and so I think I need a push in the right direction). I don't think I will get there otherwise.

Last edited:
Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What's the relationship between the heat input to the first engine and the heat input to the second engine?

C.E
let Qh(1), Qh(2) be the heat inputs for engions 1 and 2 respectively.

Qh(2)=Qh(1)-w1. Is this right?

I thought I was already using that when I said e2= w2/(Qh-w1).

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Right; can't you go straight from

[tex]e=\frac{w_1+w_2}{Q_{h,1}}[/tex]

to something containing just [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_2[/itex]? Where are you getting stuck?

C.E
This is what I keep doing and where I am getting stuck.

e=[tex]\frac{w1+w2}{Qh(1)}[/tex]

e=e1+[tex]\frac{w2}{Qh(1)}[/tex]

e=e1+[tex]\frac{w2}{Qh(2)+w1}[/tex]

e=e1+e2+[tex]\frac{w2}{w1}[/tex]

This is where I get stuck.

I can't get rid of the w2/w1 pluss this seems wrong as two engions of efficiency=0.5 would violate the second law if this formula holds.

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Then try something else! I tried a few approaches before something worked. I don't mean to be unhelpful, but just giving you the answer would deprive you of the experience of working it out yourself.

C.E
Ok, I will try new approaches but just out of interest the comment I made at the end of my last post about the second law do you agree with it? If so what have I done wrong (though it may not show the desired result I still thought my Algebra was correct)?

Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
No, I don't agree;

[tex]\frac{A}{B+C}\neq\frac{A}{B}+\frac{A}{C}[/tex]

C.E
Oh, yeah, my Algebra was wrong afterall. Sorry about this but I do not actually know what else I can try, any further hints?