Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connecting two Linux machines

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    We have two Linux servers (Redhat 9.0) 40 miles apart. We want to connect them to each other so that we can change our database settings and PHP files on them. In windows we just dial one of them from the other one and use a remote desktop. What should we do when we are using linux?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Ever heard of SSH? It is probably already installed. All you have to do is start the server by su'ing into root and then running the following command: /etc/init.d/sshd start

Make sure you foward ssh to that computer on the firewall.

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    Yeah, but don't you think we must first make a TCP/IP connection between those machines?
    None of them are connected to the Internet. So we have to place a PPP (or something like that) connection between them.
    I need a client/server deamon to make the connection via 56k modems and a phone line.
    That's what I need. Please give me the name of such client/server programs. And the way we can make the PPP connection.
    Thanks

5. Sep 21, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Then you need pppd and sshd.

6. Sep 22, 2005 #5
    Somebody told me about Portslave. Is it neccesary to use it?
    dduardo, that would be great if you could give me one of your majical links. Like the one you gave me last week, the page about configuring Samba and SWAT. I need a easy "How to do", even for Debian if you think it's easier for a novice.
    Thanks a lot.

7. Sep 22, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

8. Sep 22, 2005 #7
    let me give it a go. Offcourse I'm trying to find the simplest way.
    Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?