Connection between ppm and length?

In summary, a junior at U. Penn is having trouble converting data from a computer program made in the 1980s from ppm to percent for a research project on thermal expansion. The program does not measure the original length and only gives data in ppm. The poster is seeking advice on how to convert from ppm to cm and asks for help from the community. The conversation was closed due to being a duplicate post.
mjdwyer23
Hi everyone-
I'm a junior at U. Penn doing a research project on thermal expansion in complex perovskites. I'm having trouble with a computer program that I'm using to control and obtain data from our dilatometer. The problem is that the software was made in the mid to late 80's, and it only gives data in ppm. What I need to do is convert the expansion to a percent. The program, however, seems to not measure the original length at all. It looks like it tares the sensor at the programmed reference temperature and goes from there, but the alpha (thermal expansion coefficient) needs to be calculated with the original length. Is there any way I can convert from ppm to cm to get a percent change somehow? Thanks

Matt Dwyer

Engineering news on Phys.org
ppm (parts per million) is short-hand for a strain of 1x10-6 [length/length].

If you need more than that, just ask.

This thread is a duplicate from here

I'm going to close this one.

mjdwyer, in the future, please only post your question in one place. It's easier to have a coherent conversation that way. If the post is better suited for another forum, the mentors will move it for you.

Welcome to PF, btw!

1. What is the definition of "ppm" and how is it related to length?

Parts per million (ppm) is a unit of measurement that describes the concentration of a substance in a solution. It represents the number of parts of a substance per million parts of the solution. The connection between ppm and length is that ppm is often used to measure the length or distance of very small objects or particles in a solution.

2. How do you convert ppm to length?

To convert ppm to length, you will need to know the density of the substance and the volume of the solution. First, calculate the mass of the substance in the solution by multiplying the density by the volume. Then, divide the mass by the concentration in ppm. This will give you the length of the substance in the solution.

3. Can ppm be used to measure the length of solid objects?

No, ppm is typically used to measure the length or distance of very small objects or particles in a solution. It is not an appropriate unit for measuring the length of solid objects. For solid objects, it is better to use units such as meters or centimeters.

4. How accurate is the connection between ppm and length?

The accuracy of the connection between ppm and length depends on the accuracy of the measurements used to determine the concentration and the volume of the solution. The accuracy can also be affected by factors such as sample preparation and experimental conditions. It is important to use precise and consistent methods when measuring ppm and length.

5. Are there any limitations to using ppm to measure length?

Yes, there are some limitations to using ppm to measure length. For instance, ppm may not be a suitable unit for measuring the length of large objects or objects that are not evenly distributed in a solution. Additionally, the accuracy of ppm measurements can be affected by factors such as temperature, pH, and impurities in the solution.