1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connections and tensor fields

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##T## be a ##(1, 1)## tensor field, ##\lambda## a covector field and ##X, Y## vector fields. We may define ##\nabla_X T## by requiring the ‘inner’ Leibniz rule, $$\nabla_X[T(\lambda, Y )] = (\nabla_XT)(\lambda, Y ) + T(\nabla_X \lambda, Y ) + T(\lambda, \nabla_X Y ) . $$

(a) Prove that ##\nabla_XT## defines a ##(1, 1)## tensor field.
    (b) Prove that the components of the ##(1, 2)## tensor ##\nabla T## are, $$\nabla_cT^{a}_{\,\,\,b} = e_c(T^{a}_{b}) + \Gamma^{a}_{\,\,dc}T^{d}_{b} − \Gamma^{d}_{ bc}T^{a}_{d}$$
    (c) Deduce that the Kronecker delta tensor is covariantly constant ##\nabla \delta = 0.##
    2. Relevant equations

Tensor fields and linearity

3. The attempt at a solution

Really just need to check what I am going to do is correct. For a), ##\nabla_X T## defines a (1,1) tensor if it is linear in the arguments ##X## and ##Y##? Linear in ##X## by definition of a connection and for ##Y##;

$$\nabla_X (T (\lambda, fY)) = (\nabla_X T)(\lambda fY) + T(\nabla_X \lambda, fY) + T(\lambda, \nabla_X (fY)) $$ which can be written using the axioms of a connection $$ f(\nabla_X T)(\lambda, Y) + fT(\nabla_X \lambda, Y) + fT(\lambda, f \nabla_X Y) + T(\lambda, X(f)Y)$$ It doesn't seem to be linear in Y at all?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you started with the equation:

[itex]\nabla_X (T(\lambda, Y)) = (\nabla_X T)(\lambda, Y) + T(\nabla_X \lambda, Y) + T(\lambda, \nabla_X Y)[/itex]

You can rewrite this to get:

[itex](\nabla_X T)(\lambda, Y) = \nabla_X (T(\lambda, Y)) - T(\nabla_X \lambda, Y) - T(\lambda, \nabla_X Y)[/itex]

So it's the combination of all three terms on the right-hand side that must be linear in [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex]. The individual terms don't have to be linear. To prove it's linear in [itex]Y[/itex], replace [itex]Y[/itex] by [itex]f Y[/itex]:

[itex](\nabla_X T)(\lambda, f Y) = \nabla_X (T(\lambda, f Y)) - T(\nabla_X \lambda, f Y) - T(\lambda, \nabla_X (f Y))[/itex]

Then you have to prove that the right-hand side is equal to [itex]f (\nabla_X (T(\lambda, Y)) - T(\nabla_X \lambda, Y) - T(\lambda, \nabla_X Y))[/itex]

To prove this, you have to use the linearity of [itex]T[/itex] and the Leibniz rule to rewrite the right-hand side so that hopefully you can get [itex]f[/itex] on the outside. What that means is that derivatives of [itex]f[/itex] have to cancel.

4. Feb 24, 2015 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Thanks! Ok so I proved the linearity in ##Y##, can I use the same method to find the linearity in ##\lambda##? So let ##\lambda \rightarrow f \lambda##?

For part b), I am not sure how much detail is required for an answer. The definition I have in my notes is that 'Given an ##(r,s)## tensor field ##T##, the covariant derivative ##\nabla T## is an ##(r,s+1)## tensor with components $$\nabla_c T^{a_1 .... a_r}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,b_1 ....b_s} = e_c T^{a_1....a_r}_{\,\,\,\,b_1...b_s} + \Gamma^{a_1}_{dc} T^{d.....a_r}_{\,\,\,\,b_1....b_s} + .... + \Gamma^{a_r}_{dc}T^{a_1 ....d}_{\,\,\,\,b_1 ..... b_s} - \Gamma^d_{b_1 c} T^{a_1....a_r}_{\,\,\,\,d....b_s} - .... - \Gamma^{d}_{b_s c} T^{a_1...a_r}_{\,\,\,\,\,b_1....d}$$ So applying this gives the result immediately, as far as I can see we are evaluating all the possible contractions of the covariant and contravariant components of the tensor. Do you think this is fine? And is this result a definition or does it follow from something? Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted