Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connes fusion

1. Sep 19, 2003 #1
    can someone explain to me this term?
    i know that's it is concenered to commutivity (or the lack of it).
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am afraid you will have to give us more information on where you saw or hear of "connes fusion". I've never seen the term before!
  4. Sep 20, 2003 #3
    I think it's some kind of tensor product between quantum groups. This is off the top of my head from a book I picked up about six months ago, so it's more than likely inaccurate...
  5. Sep 21, 2003 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

That's not so inaccurate! I think the first use of the term
    "Connes fusion" was in a 1998 paper by Tony Wassermann at Cambridge

and he references the 1994 book by Alain Connes "Non-commutative Geometry"

A group representation can be thought of as a 'module' and there is a way to "fuse" two representations together which is essentially taking a kind of "tensor product" of two modules.
    And Connes talked about ways of fusing or multiplying together two modules.

Then in 1998 Anthony Wassermann was writing about Algebraic Quantum Field Theory and fusing two representations and he introduced the idea of "Connes fusion" in the first paragraph of the paper.

too bad its just a fusion of two algebraic structures and not some kind of new source of energy that would replace the need for petroleum
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?