Angular Momentum Conservation with a Parakeet Landing on a Turntable

In summary, the parakeet's angular speed after landing is equal to the initial angular speed plus 2mv.
pelmel92

Homework Statement

Consider a cylindrical turntable whose mass is M and radius is R, turning with an initial angular speed ω1.

(a) A parakeet of mass m, after hovering in flight above the outer edge of the turntable, gently lands on it and stays in one place on it, as shown below. What is the angular speed of the turntable after the parakeet lands? (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)
ωf = ? (b) Becoming dizzy, the parakeet jumps off (not flies off) with a velocity relative to the turntable. The direction of is tangent to the edge of the turntable and in the direction of its rotation. What will be the angular speed of the turntable afterwards? Express your answer in terms of the two masses m and M, the radius R, the parakeet speed and the initial angular speed ω1. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: v for ||.)
ωf = ?

Homework Equations

L=mvr+Iω
I(turntable)=.5MR^2
I=∑mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no issues with part one, and correctly found ωf to be equal to Mω1/(M+2m).
But I can't figure out where I've gone wrong with part two...

I thought that, due to the cons. of L, (.5MR^2 +mR^2)ω1= .5MR^2ωf +mvR
but solving for ωf in this equation keeps coming up wrong...

Am I missing something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation looks right to me... what final answer did you end up with?

ωf= ω1 + 2mω1/M -2mv/(MR)

do i just suck at algebra?

Wow, no that looks good [but I learned that I sure suck at algebra---from my first try... :( ].
Could your solutions be wrong?

hold on...thought i caught it but I'm still a bit confused here...

.5MR^2ω1 +mR^2ω1= .5MR^2ωf +mvR
so

.5MR^2ω1 +mR^2ω1 -mvR = .5MR^2ωf

and

(.5MR^2ω1)/(.5MR^2) +(mR^2ω1)/(.5MR^2) - (mvR)/(.5MR^2) = ωf
right?
which means that

ω1 +2(mω1)/M - 2(mv)/(MR) = ωf

maybe I'm just being dense but i can't see where i went wrong...

Last edited:
i guess that's always possible... it's a webassign homework, which has been known to fudge the grading on occasion...

but i feel much better about it if you think my approach looked good, thanks for all the help :)

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the angular momentum of a system cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different objects within the system.

Why is the conservation of angular momentum important?

The conservation of angular momentum is important because it allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of rotating objects and systems. It is also a fundamental principle in understanding the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies in our universe.

How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to everyday life?

While we may not think about it frequently, the conservation of angular momentum is present in many everyday activities. For example, when you ride a bike, the spinning wheels have angular momentum that is conserved as you turn and steer the bike. Similarly, a figure skater spinning on the ice will increase their angular velocity by pulling their arms in, and decrease it by extending their arms out.

What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of an object's motion, but they differ in the direction in which they act. Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum is a measure of an object's motion around an axis. Additionally, linear momentum can be transferred between objects in a collision, while angular momentum cannot be transferred in the same way.

How can angular momentum be conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total angular momentum is conserved because there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the sum of the angular momentum of all objects within the system remains constant. If one object within the system gains angular momentum, another object must lose an equal amount in order to maintain the total angular momentum of the system.