How Low Does the Object Reach in a Spring-String System?

• Thread starter musicfairy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of energy to solve a problem involving a spring and an object attached to a string. The equation for potential energy is given and the goal is to find the lowest point the object will reach when dropped from the ceiling. The correct equation involves setting gravitational potential energy equal to spring potential energy and solving for the distance x.
musicfairy
A spring of length D and constant k is hung from the ceiling. A nonstretchable string of length L is attached to the bottom of the spring. An object of mass m attached to the free end of the string and dropped from the ceiling. What is the lowest the object would reach?

I'm supposed to solve this strictly using energy. No amplitude or anything like that.

Here I go:

E = Ug + Us
Ug = (D + L)mg
Us = .5kx2

That all I know about U. How do I find how far the spring stretches past its equilibrium position, when it stretches the farthest away from the point of origin?

This is my guess:

Since it's all potential energy at the time of release, the spring is unstretched:

mg(D + L) = .5kx2

x = sqrt((2*mg(D + L))/k)

So the lowest point would be D + L + x

So can someone explain to me all the conceptual errors I made and how those concepts are supposed to apply in this situation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For gravitational potential, here are 2 things to think about:

At what height or level is the grav. potential equal to zero?

And

What is the height and grav. potential when the mass is at its lowest point?

I assume that at the lowest there is no gravitational potential energy. That's why I set the two equal to each other.

Do you mean that gravitational potential energy should be mg(D + L +x) since while the spring stretches down it still has some gravitational potential energy?

Am I on track of getting a correct equation? I really need one, and fast. Anyone please help.

musicfairy said:
I assume that at the lowest there is no gravitational potential energy. That's why I set the two equal to each other.

Do you mean that gravitational potential energy should be mg(D + L +x) since while the spring stretches down it still has some gravitational potential energy?

Yes, good.

Am I on track of getting a correct equation? I really need one, and fast. Anyone please help.

Yes, you're on the right track. Gravitational and spring potential energies are all you need to solve this.

Ok, so if that's true then my equation should be

mg(D + L + x) = .5kx2

And then I'll plug in numbers and solve for x somehow.

Is this right?

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. What is an example of conservation of energy in action?

An example of conservation of energy is a pendulum swinging back and forth. The potential energy at the top of the swing is converted into kinetic energy as the pendulum moves down, and then back into potential energy as it swings back up.

3. How does the conservation of energy affect our daily lives?

The law of conservation of energy affects our daily lives in many ways. For example, it allows us to use renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power, as well as understand the energy transformations that occur in our bodies as we go about our daily activities.

4. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of energy?

There are no known exceptions to the law of conservation of energy. However, there are cases where it may seem like energy is being created or destroyed, but in reality, it is just being transferred or transformed in ways that may not be immediately obvious.

5. What are the implications of not following the law of conservation of energy?

If the law of conservation of energy was not followed, it would have drastic consequences for our universe. The energy we rely on to sustain life would be constantly changing and unpredictable, and the universe as we know it would not be able to exist in its current form.