1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consensus equation, help please.

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1

I am having the most trouble understanding this equation. Why is the limit of summation, declared as a node j in a member of the neighbors of agents i (Which is a set of nodes and links, taken from disk graphs)? Why is it that by the term [tex]x_j(t)[/tex], a derivative of X(of the i index) must be taken? Can anyone explain how this equation works?

I am sure that this is a very difficult question and may take time to answer it, but I would heavily appriciate it if anyone can explain it well, as my research is at stake here.

More information about this equation can be found on slide #11 of powerpoint presentation.

http://www.piaggio.ccii.unipi.it/Bertinoro 2007/Materiale Didattico/EgerstedtTalk.pdf
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If i=1, N1= {1} so [itex]\overdot{x}[/itex]1= x1- x1= 0.
    If i= 2, N2= {1, 2} so [itex]\overdot{x}[/itex]2= (x32- x1)+ (x2- x2= x2- x1
    If i= , N3= {1,2,3} so [itex]\overdot{x}[/itex]= (x3- x1)+ (x3)+ (x3- x2)+ x3- x1)= 2x3- x1-x2.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  4. Nov 3, 2007 #3
    Ok, I stared at what you said for 10 minutes but failed to understand it. Can you please provide additional details?
  5. Nov 5, 2007 #4
  6. Nov 7, 2007 #5
    :( anyone?
  7. Nov 11, 2007 #6
  8. Nov 11, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My non-technical understanding is that the change in node i is an average of the distances between i and its neighbors. So, if node i is agnostic in its beliefs, and its distance to node 1i (who is atheist) is x1i - xi = d1i, and its distance to node 2i (who is religious) is x2i - xi = d2i, then i's beliefs will change in proportion to the average distance to its neighbors: (d1i + d2i)/2. If i's initial distance to 1i is greater than its initial distance to 2i, d1i > d2i, then in the next period (or iteration) i's beliefs will get closer to 1i.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?