1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation and angular velocity

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need help with this question: http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2278/unledsbg.jpg [Broken]

For a, I got omega = 18.63 rad/s by using methods of conservation of energy. Can someone tell me if I did this right? If not, please help me out! To be honest, I thought I had to use conservation of momentum for this since it involves a collision, but its equations dont involve angular velocity.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of energy/momentum

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) omega = 18.63 rad/sec

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Energy is not conserved. But angular momentum is.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    So does that mean I find v by means of conservation of momentum, and then use omega = v / r to find the answer? The reason I'm confused is because at the note at the bottom of the question, it says treat the door as a rod rotating about its end, which is a hint to use Inertia = (1/3)ML^2. Conservation of energy, not momentum, has inertia in its equation.

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Conservation of angular momentum will involve the moment of inertia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook