Conservation law for FRW metric

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a specific frame of reference in order to simplify the conservation law ##\nabla^a T_{ab}=0## in the context of fluid dynamics. The Levi-Civita connection is chosen to avoid dealing with ##\nabla g## and the resulting calculation yields the fact that the zero component of the conservation law ##\nabla_a T^{a0}## should equal 0. However, there may be some misunderstandings about the use of the covariant derivative and the scale factor ##a##. Hints are given to show that the covariant derivative in this case acts like a normal derivative and the scale factor is related to the simplification of the connection coefficient
Markus Kahn
Homework Statement
Given the FRW metric
$$d s^{2}=-d t^{2}+a(t)^{2}\left[\frac{d r^{2}}{1-k r^{2}}+r^{2}\left(d \theta^{2}+\sin ^{2} \theta d \varphi^{2}\right)\right]$$
and the Stress-energy tensor of an ideal fluid,
$$T_{a b}=(P+\rho) u_{a} u_{b}+P g_{a b}, \quad \text{where}\quad P=\omega \rho\quad \text{and}\quad u^a:=\frac{dx^a}{d\tau},$$
My Prof. claimed during yesterdays lecture that one can show that the zero component of the convervation equation of ##T_{ab}## results in
$$\frac{d}{d t} \log \rho\propto\frac{d}{d t} \log a(t)\tag{1}.$$
I've been trying to show this now for a while and I just can't figure it out...
Relevant Equations
All given above.
My attempt:
  1. Realize we can work in whatever coordinate system we want, therefore we might as well work in the rest frame of the fluid. In this case ##u^a=(c,\vec{0})##.
  2. The conservation law reads ##\nabla^a T_{ab}=0##. Let us pick the Levi-Civita connection so that we don't have to worry about ##\nabla g##. We then get $$\begin{align*}\nabla^a T_{ab} &= \nabla^a\left((1+\omega)\rho u_{a} u_{b}+\omega\rho g_{a b}\right)\\&= (1+\omega)\nabla^a(\rho u_au_b)+ \omega g_{ab}\nabla^a\rho\\&\overset{(*)}{=} (1+\omega) u_au_b\nabla^a\rho+ \omega g_{ab}\nabla^a\rho\\&= \left((1+\omega) u_au_b+ \omega g_{ab}\right)\nabla^a\rho,\end{align*}$$ where in ##(*)## we use the fact that ##u^a## are constant in the comoving frame.
  3. For the zero component I now get $$\begin{align*}\nabla_a T^{a0} &= \left((1+\omega) u^au^0+ \omega g^{a0}\right)\nabla_a\rho = \left((1+\omega)c u^a+ \omega g^{a0}\right)\nabla_a\rho\\&= -(1+\omega)c^2 \nabla_0\rho -\omega \nabla_0\rho\\&= -(1+\omega)c^2 \partial_t\rho -\omega \partial_t\rho\\&\overset{!}{=}0 \end{align*}$$ I don't really think there is a way to get to the claimed result from here, since I'm completely missing the scale factor ##a##.
Questions
I suspect that my problem lies in the fact that I'm not sure if
  • I'm actually allowed to pick a specific frame of reference and work in it and
  • I understand correctly how the covariant derivative acts on scalars (##\rho##) and constant values (##u^a##, since they are only zero or ##c## in the comoving frame).
The answer to the second question is, I think, that the covariant derivative in this case just acts like a "normal" derivative. But I'm of course not sure and it isn't working... So I'm presumably misunderstanding something. Any hints on how to show this are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. It is better to pick up a specific frame. By Principal of equivalence, it should hold in every frame. In the comoving frame in which fluid elements is at origin, the connection coefficient simplify considerably.

Some Hints:
##\nabla_j T^{0j}=\frac {\partial T^{0j}}{\partial x_j}+ \Gamma^0_{\mu\nu}T^{\mu\nu}+\Gamma^{\mu}_{\mu\nu}T^{0\nu}##

Now: ##T^{00}=\rho, T^{0i}=0, T^{ij}=P##And near origin ##g_{ij}=a^2 \delta_{ij}##

1. What is the FRW metric?

The FRW metric is a mathematical description of the expanding universe in the context of general relativity. It is based on the work of Friedmann, Robertson, and Walker, and is often used to model the large-scale structure of the universe.

2. What is conservation law for FRW metric?

The conservation law for FRW metric states that the total energy of the universe remains constant over time. This means that although the universe is expanding, the total amount of energy within it remains the same.

3. How does the conservation law for FRW metric relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The conservation law for FRW metric is closely related to the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This is consistent with the idea that the total energy of the universe remains constant over time.

4. What implications does the conservation law for FRW metric have for the future of the universe?

The conservation law for FRW metric suggests that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely, as long as the total energy remains constant. This means that the universe will continue to grow and cool, eventually leading to a state of maximum entropy known as the "heat death" of the universe.

5. How does the conservation law for FRW metric impact our understanding of dark energy and dark matter?

The conservation law for FRW metric has significant implications for our understanding of dark energy and dark matter. These mysterious substances are thought to make up the majority of the universe's energy, and their presence is necessary to maintain the total energy balance predicted by the conservation law for FRW metric.