1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of a mechanical energy question

1. Jul 12, 2004 #1
    Hi, this is my first time here and Id like to thank in advance for any help offered :smile:
    Im having trouble with the following question about 2 masses in an atwoods machine.

2 masses are initially at rest at the same height, if m2 has a given initial upward speed, how high does m2 rise above its initial position before momentarily coming to rest, (masses for each are given with m2 being heavier)

I know that I need to show some work before I should post this, but I embarrased to say I dont know how to even apporach it :frown:

any tips will be greatly appreciated :biggrin:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to PF!
    This is a conservation of mechanical energy question.
    Set up the initial mechanical energy of the whole system (kinetic+potential)
    When the system falls momentarily at rest (assuming that the string remains taut all the time), the system only have potential energy.
    As a hint, note that with a taut, inextensible string, the increase of height for m2 must equal the decrease of height for m1
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  4. Jul 12, 2004 #3
    First, find the acceleration of the masses. Then use some kinematics to find the distance. Should be dead easy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?