1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of ang. momentum for paths reaching a rotation axis

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone.
    My question is the following: if we had the trajectory of a particle eventually reaching a point of a rotation axis [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] ((take that as being the z-axis for convenience) by an angle [itex] s [/itex] , would Noethers Theorem still give a conserved quantity?

More specifically (let me go through the calculations and details first)

1. Statement of Noether's Theorem

If a Lagrangian [itex] \mathcal{L}(\vec{q_i}, \dot{\vec{q_i}}, t) [/itex] admits a one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms [itex] h^s : \mathcal{M} \rightarrow \mathcal{M} [/itex] such that [itex] h^{(s=0)} (\vec{q_i})= \vec{q_i} [/itex], then there is a conserved quantity locally given by [tex] I = \sum_{i} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{q_i}} \left.\frac{d}{ds}(h^s(q_i))\right\vert_{s=0} [/tex]

2. Applying to Simple Lagrangian

Assume a potential-free Lagrangian [itex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{m}{2}( \dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2 + \dot{z}^2 ) [/itex].
    A suitable transformation can be given by [tex] h^s (x,y,z)= \begin{pmatrix}
    cos(s) & -sin(s) & 0 \\
    sin(s) & cos(s) & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1
    \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Working out the conserved quantity, we get that the z-component of angular momentum [itex] L_z = m \dot{y}(t) x(t) - m \dot{x}(t) y(t) [/itex] is conserved for any path [itex] (x(t),y(t),z(t)) [/itex].

3. The problem:
    If this trajectory would include any point on the rotation axis z, [itex] h^s(q_i) [/itex] would be 0 there and so by conservation, valued 0 all along the path.
    However, we know that angular momentum is conserved.
    So, in all rigour - is this inconsistency amendable or a sign of some bigger problem?

Any comments are very welcome.
    David

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted