Conservation of Angular Momentum Question

In summary, by tucking in her arms, the ice skater decreases her moment of inertia by 7.5% and increases her angular velocity to 4.32 rad/s. The ratio of her old kinetic energy to her new kinetic energy is 1:1.075.
timtng
An ice skater doing a toe spin with outstretched arms has an angular velocity of 4 rad/s. She then tucks in her arms, decreasing her moment of inertia by 7.5%

a. What is the resulting angular velocity?
b. By what factor does the skater's kinetic energy change?

For a, I use IW = I'W' >> 1(4rad/s) = (1-.075)W', then solve for W'
I got 4.32 rad/s for W'. I don't know if I'm doing it correctly. Also, I need help on part b.

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Part a looks ok.

IIRC the formula for rotational energy is
1/2Iω2

The ratio is the old kinetic energy divided by the new kinetic energy.

a. The resulting angular velocity can be calculated using the conservation of angular momentum equation, which states that the initial angular momentum is equal to the final angular momentum. In this case, the initial angular momentum is given by I1W1, where I1 is the initial moment of inertia and W1 is the initial angular velocity. The final angular momentum is given by I2W2, where I2 is the final moment of inertia and W2 is the final angular velocity. Since the angular momentum is conserved, we can set these two equations equal to each other:

I1W1 = I2W2

We are given that the initial angular velocity is 4 rad/s and the moment of inertia decreases by 7.5% when the skater tucks in her arms. This means that the final moment of inertia is 0.925 times the initial moment of inertia. Therefore, we can rewrite the conservation of angular momentum equation as:

I1(4 rad/s) = (0.925I1)W2

Solving for W2, we get:

W2 = (4 rad/s)(I1/0.925I1) = 4.32 rad/s

Therefore, the resulting angular velocity is 4.32 rad/s.

b. To calculate the change in kinetic energy, we can use the equation for kinetic energy in terms of angular momentum, which is given by:

K = 1/2I1W1^2

The initial kinetic energy is given by:

K1 = 1/2I1(4 rad/s)^2 = 8I1

Similarly, the final kinetic energy is given by:

K2 = 1/2(0.925I1)(4.32 rad/s)^2 = 8I1

Therefore, the change in kinetic energy is:

ΔK = K2 - K1 = 8I1 - 8I1 = 0

This means that the skater's kinetic energy does not change when she tucks in her arms. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. In this case, since no external torque is applied, the skater's angular momentum remains constant and therefore, her kinetic energy also remains constant.

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. Angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion, and it is conserved just like linear momentum.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because of the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the initial angular momentum of a system must equal the final angular momentum of that system, even if external forces or torques are applied.

3. What is an example of conservation of angular momentum?

A classic example of conservation of angular momentum is a spinning ice skater. When the skater pulls their arms closer to their body, their moment of inertia decreases, causing their angular velocity to increase. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, as the skater's initial angular momentum must equal their final angular momentum.

4. Why is conservation of angular momentum important?

Conservation of angular momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that applies to many real-world scenarios. It helps scientists and engineers understand and predict the behavior of rotating systems, such as planets, galaxies, and even subatomic particles. It also plays a crucial role in many technological applications, such as gyroscopes and spacecraft maneuvering.

5. Can angular momentum be created or destroyed?

No, angular momentum cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred between different parts of a system or between a system and its surroundings. This is because of the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a closed system must remain constant, and therefore, cannot be created or destroyed.