1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conservation of electric feild

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. In the figure below, short sections of two very long parallel lines of charge are shown, fixed in place and separated by L = 8.0 cm. The uniform linear charge densities are +5.8 µC/m for line 1 and -2.0 µC/m for line 2. Where along the x axis shown is the net electric field from the two lines zero?

(link to image: ) http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8695/hrw72335.gif [Broken]

L=8cm=.08m
    charge density1=+5.8 µC/m
    charge density2=-2 µC/m

2. I used E1=E2

3. The attempt at a solution:

I solve E1=E2

I cancel the 1/(4pi E)'s , cross multiply and get charge density1(x-L/2)=charge density2(x+L/2), then get charge density1/charge density2= (x-(L/2))/ (x+(L/2))

but my very poor algebra limits me here. How do I go about solving this. (remember my algebra is hideous)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    The electric field varies as 1/r for a wire? If so we can superimpose the two fields along the x axis,

E(along the x axis) = q_1/x + q_2/(x + seperation of lines) = 0

solve for x

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook