1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy and coefficients of friction

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    Try this problem:
    A skier traveling 11 m/s reaches the foot of a steady upward 17 degree incline and glides 12 meters upward along this slope before coming to rest. Calculate the average coefficient of friction.

I've tried using the Conservation of energy theorem, but it is not working. Is there an easier way? By the way, the correct coefficient should be 0.23.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to PF!
    "Energy" should work just fine; post what you've done.
  4. Oct 16, 2004 #3
    Have you tried doing: coefficient of friction = Flim/R ?? I don't really know much about it, it's just the way I was taught to tackle something like this at AS level.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  5. Oct 16, 2004 #4
    I finally did figure out the correct answer to this problem. I was using the conservation of energy theorem correctly, but had calculated the incorrect normal force (friction force= coefficient of friction*normal force).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?