1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy and maximum height

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    Using conservation of energy, I found the maximum height v to which an object will rise is h_max= ((1/2)*(v^2))/(g).
    At what height h above the ground does the projectile have a speed of 0.5v?
    I found h= (0.125*(v^2))/(g) but that isn't correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2
    I think you did it right, but made a small algebraic blunder. Check over your work clearly.

4. Nov 25, 2004 #3
    I'm still not getting the right answer and I need it for another question. Any other help would be great.

5. Nov 25, 2004 #4
    Can you enlighten us a little on the details of the problem? What exactly does v represent in these equations? How do you get them?

6. Nov 26, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume you mean that you found the maxiumum height for an object projected straight up at initial speed v. If so, good.
    What fraction of the original KE does the object have when its speed is 0.5v? So how much of its final PE does it have? Use that to figure the height in terms of h_max.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?