Conservation of energy and momentum of a proton

Your name]In summary, the problem involves a head-on, elastic collision between a massless photon and a stationary free electron. Using conservation of energy and momentum, we can find the momentum of the photon after the collision, which is equal to the initial energy of the photon divided by the speed of light. Additionally, it is important to note that the momentum of the photon after the collision is the same as its momentum before the collision, since the electron remains stationary.
forrealfyziks

Homework Statement

Consider a head-on, elastic collision between massless photon (momentum Pnot and energy Enot) and a stationary free electron. Assuming that the photon bounces directly back with momentum p (in the direction of -Pnot) and energy E, use conservation of energy and momentum to find p.

Homework Equations

massless: E=pc
E=[tex]\gamma[/tex]mc2
p=[tex]\gamma[/tex]mu
Maybe relevant...but probably not : E=hf

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that p is the momentum of the electron, because it is the only momentum not denoted in the problem. Note: Pnot is momentum of photon before collision, p is momentum of photon after collision, and m is the mass of the electron. I've set up this:

(Pnot)c + mc2 = pc + [tex]\gamma[/tex]mc2
Pnot=pe - p

I remove a c from the top equation and isolate Pnot on the left side.
Pnot= p + [tex]\gamma[/tex]mc - mc

I plug this into the second equation

p + [tex]\gamma[/tex]mc - mc = pe - p = [tex]\gamma[/tex]mu - p

From here I try a couple different things, but my main method seems to be putting p on one side and pulling things out

2p= m([tex]\gamma[/tex]u - [tex]\gamma[/tex]c + c)

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
you can give me

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist who specializes in physics, and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that p is indeed the momentum of the photon after the collision, not the electron. This is because the photon is the only particle that changes direction and momentum in this collision, while the electron remains stationary. Therefore, the momentum conservation law can be written as:

Pnot = p

Now, let's look at the energy conservation law. We know that the energy of a photon is given by E=pc, and the energy of an electron is given by E=\gamma mc^2, where \gamma is the Lorentz factor. In this case, the electron is initially at rest, so its energy is simply mc^2.

Using these equations, we can write the energy conservation law as:

Enot + mc^2 = E + mc^2

Note that the energy of the photon after the collision is the same as its energy before the collision, since the photon is massless and therefore its energy does not change.

Now, we can substitute E=pc into this equation and solve for p:

Enot + mc^2 = pc + mc^2
Enot = pc
p = \frac{Enot}{c}

Therefore, the momentum of the photon after the collision is equal to the initial energy of the photon divided by the speed of light.

I hope this helps you with your problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy and momentum?

The principle of conservation of energy and momentum states that in a closed system, the total amount of energy and momentum remains constant. This means that energy and momentum can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of energy and momentum apply to a proton?

In the case of a proton, the principle of conservation of energy and momentum means that the total energy and momentum of the proton will remain constant as long as there are no external forces acting on it. This means that the proton will maintain its velocity and direction unless acted upon by an outside force.

3. What is the relationship between energy and momentum in a proton?

The energy of a proton is directly related to its momentum. The greater the momentum of a proton, the greater its energy. This relationship is described by the equation E=pc, where E is energy, p is momentum, and c is the speed of light.

4. Why is the conservation of energy and momentum important in studying protons?

The conservation of energy and momentum is essential in understanding the behavior of protons. It allows scientists to make accurate predictions about the movement and interactions of protons in various systems, such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactions. It also helps to explain the stability and properties of matter.

5. Is the conservation of energy and momentum always true for protons?

Yes, the conservation of energy and momentum is a fundamental law of physics and is always true for protons, as well as all other particles and systems in the universe. However, it is important to note that external forces, such as electromagnetic fields, can affect the energy and momentum of a proton and may need to be taken into account in certain situations.