Conservation of energy and momentum

In summary, a 50.0 kg container rolling at 5.0 m/s collides with a 15.0 kg box that slides down a 37° inclined plane with a speed of 3.0 m/s. After the collision, the container and box roll off together with a final velocity of -3.3 m/s in the direction of the container. Momentum is conserved in the x-direction during the collision.
Lord Dark

Homework Statement

An open container of mass 50.0 kg is rolling to the left at speed of 5.0 m/s on a
frictionless surface. A 15.0 kg box slides down a 37° inclined plane and leaves
the end of the plane with speed of 3.0 m/s. The end of the plane is a vertical
distance of 4.0 m above the bottom of the container (see figure). The box lands
in the container and they roll off together.
a- What are the velocity components of the box just before it lands in the container?
b- What is the magnitude and direction of the final velocity of the container?

Homework Equations

U1+K1=U2+K2
Pi=Pf

The Attempt at a Solution

a)U1+K1=U2+K2 (U2=0)
mgh=.5mVo^2=.5mv^2 then i get V=9.35 m/s

b)Vx=(15*7.47)-50*5)/65=-2.12 m/s
Vy=(15*-5.627)/65 = -1.3 m/s
so in (b) i get V=2.12 m/s to the left (removed the Vy because the floor is horizontal)
and in (a) is it right to have U2=0 ?? because the question wasn't specific if the container in the ground or not ,, anyway the picture is in the attachment,,are my answers right ?

Attachments

• 242.JPG
    242.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Dark said:
a)U1+K1=U2+K2 (U2=0)
mgh=.5mVo^2=.5mv^2 then i get V=9.35 m/s
That's correct for the magnitude, but you need the components.

b)Vx=(15*7.47)-50*5)/65=-2.12 m/s
Vy=(15*-5.627)/65 = -1.3 m/s
so in (b) i get V=2.12 m/s to the left (removed the Vy because the floor is horizontal)
and in (a) is it right to have U2=0 ?? because the question wasn't specific if the container in the ground or not ,, anyway the picture is in the attachment,,are my answers right ?
I don't understand what you did here. Hint: In what direction is momentum conserved during the collision of box and container?

Doc Al said:
That's correct for the magnitude, but you need the components.

I don't understand what you did here. Hint: In what direction is momentum conserved during the collision of box and container?

i got the components and used them in question (b) where Vx=Vcos37 and Vy=Vsin-37 (V=9.35),, the momentum is conserved in the X-axis right ?? because i see that Y-axis just has the block components and there is a floor so the vertical velocity won't count.. is that right ??

Lord Dark said:
i got the components and used them in question (b) where Vx=Vcos37 and Vy=Vsin-37 (V=9.35),,
This is incorrect. The angle 37° applies only to the initial velocity. By the time the block hits the container the angle will be different.
the momentum is conserved in the X-axis right ?? because i see that Y-axis just has the block components and there is a floor so the vertical velocity won't count.. is that right ??
Yes, momentum is only conserved in the x-direction. (There are external forces--from the floor--acting in the y-direction.)

Doc Al said:
This is incorrect. The angle 37° applies only to the initial velocity. By the time the block hits the container the angle will be different.

Yes, momentum is only conserved in the x-direction. (There are external forces--from the floor--acting in the y-direction.)

let see ,, you mean i can distribute Vf into 2 components right .. so the should i divide Vi from the first because Vix=Vfx right ?? so just apply (mgh+.5*m*Viy^2=.5*m*Vfy^2) is this right ??
if it is right I'll get Vix=Vfx=2.4 m/s but Vfy=9 m/s right ?

and from momentum ((2.4*15)-(5*50)=65Vf)) therefore Vf =-3.3 m/s (Vf=3.3 m/s in the container direction) am i right now ? :)

Looks good to me. :approve:

cool ,, thanks very much again :)

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on the system.

How are energy and momentum related?

Energy and momentum are both conserved quantities, meaning they cannot be created or destroyed. In fact, momentum is often referred to as the "quantity of motion" and is directly related to an object's mass and velocity. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work and is related to an object's mass and speed.

What are some real-world examples of conservation of energy and momentum?

Some examples of conservation of energy and momentum in action include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a ball rolling down a hill, or a car colliding with another car. In each of these situations, the total energy and momentum of the system remains constant.

Why is conservation of energy and momentum important in science?

Conservation of energy and momentum are fundamental principles in science that help us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. These laws allow us to make accurate calculations and observations in fields such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.