1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy II

1. Mar 13, 2007 #1
    A block of mass 0.08 kg is pushed against a spring with spring constant k=31 N/m. The srping is compressed 0.15 meters from its natural length. The block is released and it slides along a surface with coefficient of frition 0.45. How far does the block travel from the point at which is is released?

I am having a problem developing an equation for this. It seems i am always short on something.

this is what i have so far

Work due to friction - work due to spring = work due to spring - work due to friction.

I know i am missing something but i don't know what it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2007 #2
    Assume it is all horizontal. You have an initial set of numbers to calculate the force along the x axis and the frictional forces, Soecifty these, and we can help more.

4. Mar 13, 2007 #3
    is my equation right or wrong

5. Mar 13, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Your equation says

1 = -1

Forget the spring and think about what happens if you just push the block with force f for 1 cm. Then return to the spring ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?