Conservation of energy of sliding block

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with a problem on conservation of energy involving a block sliding up a ramp with initial velocity and friction. The person is trying to use the equation PE = KE + Wf to solve the problem, but is having trouble because there is no given displacement or height. Another person suggests using the relationship between height and displacement, h/d = sin theta, and incorporating it into the energy equation to solve for d. After making some corrections to their equation, the person finds the correct answer and is grateful for the help.
orionics
Hey folks,

I was trying to work out a problem on conservation of energy and am totally stuck. Was hoping someone could help... the problem was this...

A 38 kg block slides with an initial speed of 7 m/s up a ramp inclined at an angle of 35o with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the ramp is 0.5. Use energy conservation to find the distance the block slides before coming to rest.

I was working with the assumption that at the end of the climb,
PE = KE + Wf
where, PE = potential energy
KE = kinetic energy
Wf = work done by friction = coefficient * Normal force

Reason I get stuck is that there is no d (displacement on slope) or h (height of block at the end of motion). I tried solving one for the other by using h/d = sin theta... but I don't think it's right. :cry:

******EDITED PART STARTS*******
Here's what i had done:
PE = KE - Wf (minus because going up the slope)
mgh = mv2 - (F*d) (F = friction_coeff * m * g * cos theta)

dividing both sides by m*g*d I got...
h/d = (v2/dg) - (F/mg)

but, h/d = sin theta
so,
v2/dg = (F/mg) + sin theta

then I solved for d... and got an answer of 5.1 m. However this was wrong!
******EDITED PART ENDS******

And I've spent an hour on this and am totally frustrated and thus useless ... any and all assistance/clue/guidance will be totally appreciated.

Thanks.

- O

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
orionics said:
I was working with the assumption that at the end of the climb,
PE = KE + Wf
I would write it like this:
[itex]{KE}_i + {PE}_i = {KE}_f + {PE}_f + W_{friction}[/itex]

where, PE = potential energy
KE = kinetic energy
Wf = work done by friction = coefficient * Normal force
The work done by friction will equal [itex]\mu N d[/itex], where d is what you are trying to find, the distance the block slides.

Reason I get stuck is that there is no d (displacement on slope) or h (height of block at the end of motion). I tried solving one for the other by using h/d = sin theta... but I don't think it's right. :cry:
That relationship between h and d is exactly correct. Now make use of it in the energy equation and solve for d. (Hint: Express the PE in terms of d.)

made an addendum

Hey Doc Al

I was editing my previous post when you posted your reply. As you'll notice from my edit of the original post... I think I did what you were asking me to do. I got that answer... but found out that it was wrong.

As for the equation you wrote :
[itex]{KE}_i + {PE}_i = {KE}_f + {PE}_f + W_{friction}[/itex]

Both [itex]{PE}_i[/itex] and [itex]{KE}_f[/itex] are zero... right? That is why I used the equation I had. Am i wrong?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
orionics said:
Here's what i had done:
PE = KE - Wf (minus because going up the slope)
mgh = mv2 - (F*d) (F = friction_coeff * m * g * cos theta)
Careful: [itex]{KE} = 1/2 m v^2[/itex]. (You are missing a 1/2.)

Doc Al said:
Careful: [itex]{KE} = 1/2 m v^2[/itex]. (You are missing a 1/2.)
OMG... I can't believe I did that! :biggrin: .. .and to think I wasted an hour because of a 0.5! I'll try working it out when I get home and see if it's correct.

Thanks a heap!.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to a sliding block?

When a block is sliding on a surface, its kinetic energy is converted into heat due to friction. However, the total energy of the system (block plus surface) remains constant, as no energy is being created or destroyed.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy of a sliding block?

The conservation of energy of a sliding block is affected by the height of the surface, the mass and velocity of the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface.

4. Can the conservation of energy be violated in a sliding block system?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental principle of physics and has been proven to hold true in various systems. Any apparent violation of this law can be explained by the conversion of energy into a different form, such as heat or sound.

5. How is the conservation of energy of a sliding block useful in real-world applications?

The conservation of energy is useful in designing efficient systems, such as roller coasters and vehicles, where minimizing energy loss due to friction is crucial. It also helps in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and predicting their future movements.