Conservation of energy of speeding truck

In summary, a 25 ton truck loses it brakes and reaches the bottom of a hill with a speed of 60 mph. Fortunately, there is a runaway truck ramp which is inclined at angle of 15 degrees to the horizontal. The KE of the truck just before it goes up the ramp is 6010000 ft-lb. If instead of there being no losses, there is gravel on the runaway truck ramp that provides a constant force of 2620 pounds in the opposite direction of motion. What distance does the truck travel along the runaway truck ramp in this case?
tre2k3
I tried many ways to perfomr this problem, but i just can't figure out whether or not I am using the right values.

"A 25 ton truck loses it brakes and reaches the bottom of a hill with a speed of 60 mph.
Fortunately, there is a runaway truck ramp which is inclined at angle of 15 degrees to the horizontal."
Assuming no losses, what distance does the truck travel along the runaway truck ramp? (miles) ?

The KE of the truck just before it goes up the ramp is 6010000 ft-lb.

What do I need to do to get the distance the truck travel along the ramp? The length of the ramp is 1 mile if that means anything.

Heres a formula I've used : KE1+PE1+Work=KE2+PE2+Eloss

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since there are no losses, mechanical energy is conserved. Measure PE from the bottom of the ramp, then the intial KE will be completely transformed to PE. Find the height the truck must rise, then figure out how far it must have traveled up the ramp to gain that height. Pay attention to units!

yeah, I think the units will get me. I had to convert from ton and mph to kg and m/s and divide that by 1.36 J just to get ft-lb.

Doc Al said:
Since there are no losses, mechanical energy is conserved. Measure PE from the bottom of the ramp, then the intial KE will be completely transformed to PE. Find the height the truck must rise, then figure out how far it must have traveled up the ramp to gain that height. Pay attention to units!
Since I kind of new to this concept, how exactly do I go about measuring the bottom of the ramp. Do I set the value of h to 0 in mgh. Does the length of the ramp matter at all?

tre2k3 said:
Do I set the value of h to 0 in mgh.
Yes, at the bottom of the ramp set h = 0.

Think this way: Set [itex] 1/2 m v^2 = mgh[/itex]. Once you find h, relate h to the distance up the ramp (d): [itex]d sin\theta = h[/itex].

nevermind about the length of the ramp, that was justg the distance til the truck gets to the ramp.

Doc Al said:
Yes, at the bottom of the ramp set h = 0.

Think this way: Set [itex] 1/2 m v^2 = mgh[/itex]. Once you find h, relate h to the distance up the ramp (d): [itex]d sin\theta = h[/itex].
i got it :bugeye: :rofl: :cool:

One more thing. I having trouble understandin this one.
"If instead of there being no losses, there is gravel on the runaway truck ramp that provides a constant force of 2620 pounds in the opposite direction of motion. What distance does the truck travel along the runaway truck ramp in this case?" (miles)

Do I calculate the energy loss? And do I use cos180 in the equation also?

tre2k3 said:
Do I calculate the energy loss?
Yes, you must calculate the work done by that resistive force. Mechanical energy is no longer conserved: the change in energy will equal the work done by that resistive force. You'll find that the truck will stop in a shorter distance up the ramp.
And do I use cos180 in the equation also?
Yes, since the work done by that force is negative.

since i don't know the height in the equation, how do I relate that to the poisition

tre2k3 said:
since i don't know the height in the equation, how do I relate that to the poisition
The same as before: see post #5. You can write your energy equation using only d (distance up the ramp) and not h. Then you'll solve for d, of course.

1. How does the conservation of energy apply to a speeding truck?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of a speeding truck, the kinetic energy, or energy of motion, is converted from the truck's fuel source into the truck's movement.

2. What factors affect the conservation of energy in a speeding truck?

The main factors that affect the conservation of energy in a speeding truck are the truck's mass, velocity, and any external forces acting on it, such as friction or air resistance. The truck's fuel efficiency also plays a role in how efficiently energy is converted into movement.

3. Can the conservation of energy be violated in a speeding truck?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental principle of physics and cannot be violated. In a speeding truck, the energy may change form or be lost to external forces, but the total amount of energy in the system remains constant.

4. How does the conservation of energy affect the truck's braking distance?

When a truck is in motion, it possesses kinetic energy. In order to come to a stop, this kinetic energy must be dissipated. The truck's braking system converts the kinetic energy into other forms, such as heat and sound, which reduces the truck's speed until it comes to a complete stop.

5. How can the conservation of energy be used to improve the efficiency of a speeding truck?

By understanding the factors that affect the conservation of energy in a speeding truck, such as mass, velocity, and external forces, engineers can design more efficient trucks. This can include using lighter materials to reduce mass, optimizing the truck's aerodynamics, and improving fuel efficiency to minimize the amount of energy lost to external forces.