Conservation of energy of two blocks

In summary, the conversation is about a solved problem involving the conservation of energy in a system of two blocks connected by a spring. The total kinetic energy of the two blocks is calculated, as well as the kinetic energy of the hanging block and the maximum distance it falls before momentarily stopping. The equations used include the kinetic energy formula and the gravitational potential energy formula, as well as the principle of energy conservation. The thread also includes some clarification questions and further explanation of the solutions.
iamkristing
[SOLVED] conservation of energy

Homework Statement

Two blocks, of masses M = 1.9 kg and 2M are connected to a spring of spring constant k = 220 N/m that has one end fixed, as shown in the figure below. The horizontal surface and the pulley are frictionless, and the pulley has negligible mass. The blocks are released from rest with the spring relaxed.

(a) What is the combined kinetic energy of the two blocks when the hanging block has fallen a distance of 0.090 m?
J

(b) What is the kinetic energy of the hanging block when it has fallen that 0.090 m?
J

(c) What maximum distance does the hanging block fall before momentarily stopping?
m
W0155-N.jpg

Homework Equations

k=(1/2)mv^2
u=mgh

ki + ui = kf + uf

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved A using u(grav) =kf +us and got 2.7 J
For B i got 1.8 J

C is where I have a problem. I know the kinetic energy must equal zero and somehow you find the height from u=mgh. I just can't seem to connect the two...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
iamkristing said:
C is where I have a problem. I know the kinetic energy must equal zero and somehow you find the height from u=mgh. I just can't seem to connect the two...
The change in energy must be zero. You start with gravitational PE, which gets converted to spring PE.

iamkristing said:

Homework Equations

k=(1/2)mv^2
u=mgh

ki + ui = kf + uf

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved A using u(grav) =kf +us and got 2.7 J
For B i got 1.8 J

For part A, when you say you used Ugrav = final kinetic energy + Spring potential energy, could you please elaborate as to how that was accomplished? If final kinetic energy is 0.5*mass*velocity, how did you calculate velocity?

For part B, I run into the same roadblock, the veocity.

For C, I don't understand how the distance is 0. The answer is supposed to be 0.39m (I'm referring to the answsers in the back.

I apologise for asking so much, but I would really like to understand how this problem is solved. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Just realized that the thread is about a year old! I apologise for that...

Last edited:

iceman2048 said:
For part A, when you say you used Ugrav = final kinetic energy + Spring potential energy, could you please elaborate as to how that was accomplished? If final kinetic energy is 0.5*mass*velocity, how did you calculate velocity?

For part B, I run into the same roadblock, the veocity.
For both A and B you are solving for the final kinetic energy.

For C, I don't understand how the distance is 0. The answer is supposed to be 0.39m (I'm referring to the answsers in the back.
The distance is not zero. (That earlier post of mine states that the change in energy is zero, not the distance. That's just a statement of energy conservation.)
EDIT: Just realized that the thread is about a year old! I apologise for that...
Yeah, it generally doesn't make sense to respond to an old post... but here we are!

1. What is the conservation of energy of two blocks?

The conservation of energy of two blocks refers to the principle that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can only be transferred or converted between different forms. This means that in a system of two blocks, the total amount of energy remains constant.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to two blocks?

The conservation of energy applies to two blocks in the sense that the total energy of the system, which includes the kinetic and potential energy of both blocks, remains constant. This means that any changes in the energy of one block will result in an equal and opposite change in the energy of the other block.

3. What factors can affect the conservation of energy in a system of two blocks?

The conservation of energy in a system of two blocks can be affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the blocks, the height of the blocks, and the presence of external forces such as friction. These factors can influence the transfer or conversion of energy between the two blocks.

4. How is the conservation of energy of two blocks related to Newton's laws of motion?

The conservation of energy and Newton's laws of motion are closely related. According to the first law of motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of two blocks, the conservation of energy ensures that the total energy of the system remains constant, satisfying the first law of motion.

5. Can the conservation of energy be violated in a system of two blocks?

No, the conservation of energy cannot be violated in a system of two blocks. This principle is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed cases. Any apparent violation of the conservation of energy can be explained by the presence of external factors or limitations in our understanding of the system.